Microsoft owes me £300 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought a sony laptop last year and it had a free 60-day student trial of Microsoft Office (Vista). i paid for the product code to unlock the trial as i was writting my dissertation. Shortly after handing in my dissertation, my Sony Laptop broke and the hard drive had to be replaced. Of course i no longer had the unlocked office vista so i went to my email receipt to get the code and there wasn't one.

I phoned microsoft and they said they wouldnt release a code to me unless i had the physical office cd. they didn't send me one so how am i supposed to get it? i have the receipt in my email and they didnt want to hear it.

until i am given the code or my £300 back, i will endeavor to find illegal copies of any microsoft product, if your going to rob me blind, i will rob you blind.

Monday, July 7, 2008 9:54 AM

Answers

• Timhiggins58,

No wonder Microsoft did not know anything about your order----you ordered directly from Digital River, which as their web site says is a Microsoft Authorized Reseller.

Instead of posting rants against Microsoft in a Forum that is in no way related to your problem, you need to talk to Digital River.

I navigated to the link you provided and clicked on the FAQ link at the upper left.  There are several FAQs that should apply to your situation.

How do I get my product unlock code(s)?

If your product has a product unlock code, you can find this identifier in your confirmation e-mail. If you do not have your confirmation e-mail, you can also retrieve your product unlock code by viewing the details of your purchase using the Purchase History link. To return to the order Thank You page, use the “Purchase History” link to access your order details. Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).
    Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).
    What is Digital Backup Service?

Digital Backup Service is available for purchase on the shopping cart page when there are downloadable items present in your shopping cart. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this website (the "Site") for a period of three (3) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").
    My product key, serial number, or unlock code is not working?

First, make sure you have the correct product unlock code. You can retrieve your product unlock code by clicking here. If it is still not working please contact our Customer Service.
    Customer Service.
    How do I re-download software that I have already purchased?

To re-download software you have already purchased, you will need to go to your order Thank You page and press the “Download Now!” button. To return to the order Thank You page, use the “Purchase History” link to access your order details. Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).

I cannot access the details of your order page, but I certainly hope you opted for the Digital Backup Service which is what would allow you access to re-download the program for a period of three years.  Maybe if you did not opt for that service, that is why you cannot get a "Download Now" button on your order page.

Jeez, do you guys in GB pay 15% sales tax?  That's a heavy hit!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:02 PM

All replies

• Visit https://digitallocker.windowsmarketplace.com/locker.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
    and click on the "Help" button located in the upper right corner.

Then under the Help Topic titled: "The digital locker assistant - a Windows Download Utility",
    click on "Creating a backup CD".

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Timhiggins58,

Converting a trial installation of Office 2007 into a perpetually-licensed product requires the input of a valid perpetual Product Key of the same editon of Office 2007.

So, in order to have converted the trial to a perpetual license, you had to type in a valid perpetual product key.  You claim to have purchased such a key and received it in an email from Microsoft, yet when you went back to the same email the product key was mysteriously no longer in that email.

It is more likely that you activated the Trial license, which expires after 60 days, and never actually purchased a perpetual license.

Could that have been the situation?

Of course, if you paid Microsoft you would have some proof of that payment, such as an entry on your credit card statement, etc. for the 300 pounds.  By the way, 300 pounds seems an AWFULLY HIGH price for Office 2007 Home and Student--here in the States full retail copies sell at $149 regular price and often on sale for $99-109.  The full retail copy can be installed on 3 computers in a noncommerical setting.

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:46 PM
  • timhiggins58,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Lori MS

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:51 PM
  • I know you are trying to help but what is wrong with you guys?

I used the trial and paid for the code to unlock the software. Thats not up for debate, its a fact, i paid for the full software and i recieved it, i'm not an idiot. I don't claim to have the email, i have the email;

Dear Timothy Higgins,

Thank you for ordering from Microsoft Office on 9/4/2007. The following email is a summary of your order. Please use this as your proof of purchase. If you paid by credit card, please look for DR * Microsoft Office on your credit card billing statement.

LOOKING UP YOUR ORDER
    Go to http://email.trymicrosoftoffice.com/ct/ct.php?t=43755&c=2827757&m=m&type=1&h=BC4A45ED888169DBAC4D44FC72F4577B. You may also find other helpful information on this page.

DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS
    Downloadable products may be accessed by looking up your order. When the order summary appears, click on the Download link next to the product name.

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 English Full License
    Optional: Licence Lock Box: Digital back-up service and licence key English

PHYSICAL PRODUCTS
    You will receive a separate e-mail notification when your products have shipped.

Please note: This e-mail message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Office Customer Service

YOUR ORDER AND BILLING INFORMATION
    Customer Number:
    Order Number: 51657386
    Order Date: 9/4/2007

Timothy Higgins

Shipping Address:

Tax: 26.89 €
    Total: 206.15 €

(Ok so its not £300, but its still a lot of money to me, not something i'm going to just write-off)

When my hard drive required replacing i obviously lost all my data, including the unlocked version of office. When i looked for the validation code, it didn't appear anywhere in the email, and so i called up microsoft to get it.

there is no mystery other than why Microsoft won't issue me with a validation code when i have the receipt number, issued by them.

Until i am provided with a suitable solution, or direct contact information for somebody who will promise to sort this situation out for me, i will continue to tarnish microsoft's name and acquire copied versions of their software.

I will not pay this organisation another penny until they stop ignoring me.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:24 PM
  •  

Visit https://digitallocker.windowsmarketplace.com/locker.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
    and click on the "Help" button located in the upper right corner.

Then under the Help Topic titled: "The digital locker assistant - a Windows Download Utility",
    click on "Creating a backup CD".

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Timhiggins58,

No wonder Microsoft did not know anything about your order----you ordered directly from Digital River, which as their web site says is a Microsoft Authorized Reseller.

Instead of posting rants against Microsoft in a Forum that is in no way related to your problem, you need to talk to Digital River.

I navigated to the link you provided and clicked on the FAQ link at the upper left.  There are several FAQs that should apply to your situation.

How do I get my product unlock code(s)?

If your product has a product unlock code, you can find this identifier in your confirmation e-mail. If you do not have your confirmation e-mail, you can also retrieve your product unlock code by viewing the details of your purchase using the Purchase History link. To return to the order Thank You page, use the “Purchase History” link to access your order details. Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).
    Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).
    What is Digital Backup Service?

Digital Backup Service is available for purchase on the shopping cart page when there are downloadable items present in your shopping cart. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this website (the "Site") for a period of three (3) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").
    My product key, serial number, or unlock code is not working?

First, make sure you have the correct product unlock code. You can retrieve your product unlock code by clicking here. If it is still not working please contact our Customer Service.
    Customer Service.
    How do I re-download software that I have already purchased?

To re-download software you have already purchased, you will need to go to your order Thank You page and press the “Download Now!” button. To return to the order Thank You page, use the “Purchase History” link to access your order details. Click here to access your Purchase History (you will need your user ID and password to log in to Passport).

I cannot access the details of your order page, but I certainly hope you opted for the Digital Backup Service which is what would allow you access to re-download the program for a period of three years.  Maybe if you did not opt for that service, that is why you cannot get a "Download Now" button on your order page.

Jeez, do you guys in GB pay 15% sales tax?  That's a heavy hit!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:02 PM
  • 17.5% VAT - Value Added Tax, interesting title.

It really isnt made clear by that email, it makes out the product came from microsoft.

these digital river guys are worse than microsoft i cant find my order on there either.

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I am currently having the exact same problem and have the same email Tim does except it has my details and I have my Licence Key.

Someone point me in the right direction please, I've tried all the above advice and am having no joy...
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Download the trial version of Office 2007 that you have the product key for:
    http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx?re_ms=oo&rps=1&culture=en-US&wa=wsignin1.0
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Hello,

The good news - If you have an order number you can get your code ! It only takes 4 seconds.
    The bad news - It took me 4 days to find the right person.
    The good news - I'll tell you how, because you won't find it on the web too easily !

I'm really pleased to say I've just solved a similar problem. I've been on a 4-day rollercoaster journey of internatioal calls pro-forma emails and CRM self-help web-sites asking for information that I partly have, but even the data I have is not recognised by them.

If Microsoft were a theme park operator, their journeys would be the best value in the business.
    4 days thrill-of-your-life for only £300, with the threat of being able to hold on to the whole of your personal and business life's work and emotion riding with you !  Woweeeee..eee...!  

So you'll be wondering how? I have a four point plan.

Firstly - good suggestion from those in this trail who say that Digital River are the ones who supplied you so why should poor unassuming Microsoft be able to help you?  Sure the product is theirs but I mean you're expecting a bit much... Don't try their main number for Europe going through to Far-Eastern call centres is really not going to help you - believe me. Forget the digital back up service, lock box or any other small-fee tax - no info on the Internet to even find it.

Secondly - Don't try to use Digital River customer service online. It doesn't recognise the order number in one section, accepts it happily saying it will mail you a password-reset then doesn't and forget the bit where you enter your credit card details to trawl through previous orders too.

Thirdly - Do call Digital River on +(1) 952-253-1234 to get transferred to the secret department that can help you who won't give out their number.

Fourthly - Do Give your order number, name, email address to the very nice person that can look up your key in 4 seconds. They will email it to you.

Oh yes, there's just one last thing to say.... this secret department sits in ....    Microsoft
    Why can't the online customer service tools recognise the order? Because you can only view it online at microsoft office.
    Silly you.

So I got sent my key and I was also sent a link to my profile.....  
    I thought I'd just update & check it out ......    --> "no order history found"

And finally.....
    I hope this works for you if you find yourself somewhere near the start of the same journey.
    If not you could always follow my business adviser's advice..

"Call the sales line and tell 'em you want a quote to buy omething, but you need this little problem resolved first.."

So, should we fight fire with fire, with each consumer fight sales organisatons head on by challenging sales with sales ?

Or is it time to do a little strategic CRM, not "put-in-a-new-system CRM" to think about real customer experiences?

Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:12 PM
  • I should have come here first thing, I am experiencing the same problems, my drive is gone and I did spend over $400 for my software plus the locker. Managed to save the page when it came, but not the email. But I have my order number. Keep getting the runaround with the MS support options, one wanted to charge me $40 to fix the issue. There is no issue, I have my product key but it is not working, will go to the digital locker site and start there.

Let you know how it works.

P____ing $$$ is not my favorite pass time.

Almost forgot, I did go through the Microsoft site for my purchase, so why would they not know about the Lock box support and tell you to refer back? Why is this sort of information not available, it would save a great deal of time for those of us who do not waste money.

Blessings.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Does not work. Tried it, tech support wanted to charge to resolve the issue, trying a different tactic. UGH.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I tried my order number, says it is not found. So sent them an email, will post back later. My information has Microsoft, not Digital River, but purchased the lock box for backup. This is so frustrating.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Simon:

You're brilliant.  I had the same issue (drive had to be re-formated due to viruses - don't ask!) and followed your steps 3 & 4, and now it works!

Thanks for the assist!
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Hi guys,

I've been having similar problems; spent the morning trawling through microsoft's website for a link to re-download, but they have stopped offering Office 2007. Bought the digital backup service at the time but Digital River's website wasnt recognising any of my details when I tried it. Got them though, thanks to Simon, but their number has changed (Probably to avoid taking such calls). The new number is (IRE) + 353 61 230 000. Just off the phone with them and they are sending me a link through to redownload. Hopefully all goes well!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:23 PM