Firewall won't turn on RRS feed

• Question

• My alert is saying to turn on the firewall, but each time I click for the firewall to turn on, it says it can't at the time, and can't start unless I restart the computer or simply fix the firewall.  I've already tried the fix option, and when that didn't work, restarted the computer several times.  It still says the same thing when I click on.  I got the program yesterday, and it's a 90 day service, so it's obviously not that it's not subscribed.  The date and time are right on my laptop.

So, what I'm asking is- what am I doing wrong?  I think the program will keep saying alert until I fix said problem, too.  Can anyone help me?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• My wife's computer is experiencing the same problem.  Based on a search on the Internet there appears to be a number of people having the same problem with no real answers.  Unfortunately I cannot pin when this problem started nor any specific event.  So I guess I will continue monitoring this thread to see if Microsoft responds.  ps:  my subscription expires soon so I may have to go back to Norton.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:59 PM
  • I can understand the "getting annoyed"- I keep retrying to see if it's ready to give in and turn the firewall on yet.

Does Norton work better?  Because the firewall problem's really starting to tick me off, and I'm starting to think of just trying to return it.  Granted, they probably won't, but it's worth a shot, right?

Anything's better than this, right now.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Try the  Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If this does not solve it, please contact OneCare support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

My questions for you - did the firewall *ever* work in OneCare or are these new installs and it never worked?

By "fix" do you mean that OneCare offered to fix it for you with a dialog? Or you already tried the firewall repair tool?

Is there any other security software on the PC that may be conflicting with the firewall?

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:54 PM
  • my ? is for steve coming from last ? about did the firewall ever work.  my pc tells me that a group has a firewall on my pc.  and ive paid for a yearly sub for WLOC.( one care.) i would like for the latter to work but i dont know how to get to the other one (group)  please please help me!!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:10 AM
  • As I clearly stated in my first post, I had just gotten the CD for this anti-virus program.  So to answer your second question- no, it.  Never.  Worked.  Clear enough answer? 

And also clearly stated was I tried the firewall repair several times, it did nothing.  Therefore, more than likely trying to repair it, yet again, would do nothing.

I'm sorry for the aggravated response, but I did my damndest in the first post making it obvious what I had, and hadn't, done.  Apparantly, this didn't work.  If this program doesn't work come tomorrow, it's going back to Wal*Mart whether I get money back or not, because frankly, so far it's done nothing but upset me and cause me stress.

-ticked off at a failure to buy a good anti-virus program-

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:34 PM
  •  andrea569145 wrote:
    my ? is for steve coming from last ? about did the firewall ever work.  my pc tells me that a group has a firewall on my pc.  and ive paid for a yearly sub for WLOC.( one care.) i would like for the latter to work but i dont know how to get to the other one (group)  please please help me!!

When you install OneCare, it turns off the Windows Firewall using a Group Policy Setting. OneCare has its own firewall. If OneCare is in green status, it is on and working.

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  mnlght_maiden wrote:

As I clearly stated in my first post, I had just gotten the CD for this anti-virus program.  So to answer your second question- no, it.  Never.  Worked.  Clear enough answer? 

And also clearly stated was I tried the firewall repair several times, it did nothing.  Therefore, more than likely trying to repair it, yet again, would do nothing.

I'm sorry for the aggravated response, but I did my damndest in the first post making it obvious what I had, and hadn't, done.  Apparantly, this didn't work.  If this program doesn't work come tomorrow, it's going back to Wal*Mart whether I get money back or not, because frankly, so far it's done nothing but upset me and cause me stress.

-ticked off at a failure to buy a good anti-virus program-

I understand your aggravation at OneCare not working properly for you.

Even though you indicated you had just subscribed, that doesn't mean that the firewall failed to start or work upon the initial start of the program. That was why I asked.

Furthermore, you indicated you used the "Fix" - which I assume is the link provided in OneCare when it offers to try to fix the problem for you. If you have not used the Firewall Repair tool that I provided a link for, I recommend that you try it.

If the firewall repair tool does not resolve the problem, as I indicated in my previous answer, you should contact support. There is a reason that the firewall is not starting on your PC and that is potentially a problem on your PC that is preventing the firewall from starting.

There is a "sticky" post at the top of this forum topic that indicates that there is a firewall component installed with an Nvidea network driver that conflicts with OneCare and causes what you are seeing.

Other software on your PC may also be the cause.

If you choose not to contact support and return OneCare, that is, of course, your choice and I don't blame you at all. If WalMart won't refund your purchase, you can get a refund from Microsoft within 30 days, assuming you are in North America - 

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:12 PM