Internet connection speed is extremely slow when Live Mesh is running RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have problem with Mesh. When its running (also in offline mod !!) my internet connection speed is unstable and very very slow. When I look on processes in Eset smart security, nothing is using internet connection more than few kb/s , but in speed test I get cca 10 kb/s instead of some mbps ...
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:07 PM

All replies

•  And the problem goes away if you uninstall Live Mesh? Or can you prevent the issue by disabling the service?
    You may want to file a bug report with logs:

Please see this post for instructions on how to collect logs and submit a bug on Connect:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

Thanks,

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:41 PM
  • The problem goes away after exiting Mesh. After starting it again, problem is back again... I hoped, someone knows how to solve it, because I love Mesh :) . 
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:37 PM
  • i have EXACLY the same problem.
    We are an office with 10 computers inside. We have one internet connection going throught a phone line, which we are sharing.
    When mesh is running on only one of the PCs, the internet connection for everybody gets slow and it get more latency.

This is a big problem and this is why I will not use mesh and look for another solution.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:08 AM
  • If you're internet is slow when mesh is uploading, you might want to check out this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=419952
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Not only when uploading! Also in offline mod! 
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:03 AM
  •  Hi,

If you have not already done so, please submit a bug as Steve suggested.  After you have submitted your bug, please post the Connect Feedback ID here so that others may view and validate it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I hope this issue is not abandoned. I am experiencing the same problems as the original poster. I have submitted a bug report  along with pertinent logs.

I am forced to abandon and actually block LiveMesh on my customers' firewalls until this is resolved. Having a single LiveMesh host active on a LAN causes the internet connection to be extremely slow for everyone else in the office.

My bug report is here: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/details/543549/internet-drastically-slower-for-all-of-lan-when-livemesh-host-s-online

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:05 AM
  • I wouldn't call it abandoned. Hopefully this is addressed in the next release for those encountering the issue.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Nudge. I have this exact issue too. I have seven users, I'm running a fast machine with cable internet access. With Mesh off, I have a ping of about 19ms, and download speeds of 35Mbs and up. With Mesh on Ping goes to about 450ms, and speed drops to about 0.5Mbs. We have been using Live Sync for a while but migrated because of it getting closed down. I thought that it was due to our initial set up (the seven users share one single folder of about 25 gig) but the issue seems to be persisting, making the product unusable. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tags #slow #internet #bandwidth

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Nudge. I have this exact issue too. I have seven users, I'm running a fast machine with cable internet access. With Mesh off, I have a ping of about 19ms, and download speeds of 35Mbs and up. With Mesh on Ping goes to about 450ms, and speed drops to about 0.5Mbs. We have been using Live Sync for a while but migrated because of it getting closed down. I thought that it was due to our initial set up (the seven users share one single folder of about 25 gig) but the issue seems to be persisting, making the product unusable. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tags #slow #internet #bandwidth

Live Mesh beta (www.mesh.com) or Windows Live Mesh?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Windows Live Mesh
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:15 PM
  • I should also say I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I've got 12 gig of ram. Two Xeon 2 gig processors. I've tried running the resmon.exe app - and its certainly showing MOE is burning through some bits. Trouble is my team has been working on Windows Live Sync (in all its various naming conventions) for the last 2 years with no problems so I've not run this before so don't know what normal is. I'm not sure how to diagnose.

Our setup is we have one common folder and we all sync with it. Because of file structure limitations with Windows Live Sync we put the shared folder at the C level ie C:/Shared. For some reason Windows Live Mesh has created this folder for my other users at the level C:/users/username/sharedfolder. This has resulted in some names being too long (six of them precisely). They say they are too long on my computer, but I've gone in and shortened them so they no longer exist in the long form - but some machines still say they are hung up on those long names, which is weird. But I can't believe that non-existent issue is causing everything to freak out.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a user not an IT guy (the curse of small companies) so any pointers you can give to get this boat righted would be great.

ps I recently also put drop box on my machine - I've subsequently suspended it. That doesn't seem to affect the speed. But WLM does......

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Windows Live Mesh

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, there's a different place for you to post.  

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

Monday, October 25, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Thanks, sorry to have troubled you. I know there was a difference between Mesh and Live Mesh, I didn't realize there was Windows Live Mesh and Live Mesh differences.....looks like marketing should move to decaf. To make sure I am sure - is Live Mesh also being shut down (like Windows Live Sync) or will it live on. Looking for a solution that will work (just like we used to have...)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Thanks, sorry to have troubled you. I know there was a difference between Mesh and Live Mesh, I didn't realize there was Windows Live Mesh and Live Mesh differences.....looks like marketing should move to decaf. To make sure I am sure - is Live Mesh also being shut down (like Windows Live Sync) or will it live on. Looking for a solution that will work (just like we used to have...)

No trouble, ziippp. ;-) The naming is Microsoft's fault. Yes, Live Mesh beta and Windows Live Sync are both shutting down 3/31/11. Windows Live Mesh is the replacement that works on Vista/Windows 7, XP not supported.

-steve

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:12 AM