home server on a pc RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I installed Windows home server on an older pc i had. Now i have the server software installed and it appears to be running. I seem to be stumpted what to do next. I tried installing the connector software on other computers to no avail. Any help is greatfully appreciated. Did i maybe not set something up on the server computer properly? Thanks for the help!
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:09 PM

All replies

• HI, I installed Windows home server on an older pc i had. Now i have the server software installed and it appears to be running. I seem to be stumpted what to do next. I tried installing the connector software on other computers to no avail. Any help is greatfully appreciated. Did i maybe not set something up on the server computer properly? Thanks for the help!
    How are you trying to install the Connector software (from the CD or from the server)?  When you try to install the Connector software, do you get an error message?  If so, exactly what does it say?
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi, I am using the Connector software cd. I get an error message that says: " The wizzard cannot find your home server" then it says search again or find my home server manually.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Hi, I am using the Connector software cd. I get an error message that says: " The wizzard cannot find your home server" then it says search again or find my home server manually.

Did you try installing it from your server (either by going to \\server\software\home server connector software, or by opening IE and going to http://server:55000, replacing "server" with the name of your server)?  Also, are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  If you logon to the server desktop, are you able to get on the internet at all?
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:40 PM
  • I can ping it successfully, using the server name, now i can ping also with the IP address. but when i try to install the software using http://myservername:55000  i get page cannot be displayed. I cant get it to open using  \\server\software\home server connector software either. Should I try using the disk in the server computer? Any other suggestions?

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I can ping it successfully, using the server name, now i can ping also with the IP address. but when i try to install the software using http://myservername:55000  i get page cannot be displayed. I cant get it to open using  \\server\software\home server connector software either. Should I try using the disk in the server computer? Any other suggestions?

Have you added any data to the server shares at all?  If not, I think at this point I would suggest another New Installation.  Make sure you leave the DVD in the drive the during the entire installation process (all the way until you see the Welcome screen).  From there, go through the one-time setup.  Then try it again (before installing anything else on your server).
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Thats what i am doing right now. going to reinstall the software. Now when i see the welcome screen and have done the updates that it says and what not is their anything else special that i should do once that is finshed? Just run the software on the other computers on the network?

Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Thats what i am doing right now. going to reinstall the software. Now when i see the welcome screen and have done the updates that it says and what not is their anything else special that i should do once that is finshed? Just run the software on the other computers on the network?
    Sounds about right to me.  :)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:49 PM
  • hi again, sorry to be such abother, this time i got the server to be seen by the computers but get an error occured message and it says, The files were not downloaded from your home server. your windows home server software may be out of date. upgrade your home sever to the current version and then install the windows home server connector for this computer. If you recently ran a recovery, install the connectfor using the cd you recieved with your home server. Then updfrade your home server to the most recent version of windows home server. Any ideas on what it means? I tried installing updates but it fails on the power pack 2. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Update: I can see the server on the computers. SO i know its their. So when i go to install the software, it finds the server and asks for the password. I then enter the password and then i get "The operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact Support". Any ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks
    Monday, September 21, 2009 10:34 PM
  • hi again, sorry to be such abother, this time i got the server to be seen by the computers but get an error occured message and it says, The files were not downloaded from your home server. your windows home server software may be out of date. upgrade your home sever to the current version and then install the windows home server connector for this computer. If you recently ran a recovery, install the connectfor using the cd you recieved with your home server. Then updfrade your home server to the most recent version of windows home server. Any ideas on what it means? I tried installing updates but it fails on the power pack 2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What error message do you get when you try to install PP2?  What are the component numbers for your server (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 5:21 AM