Announcement 11-18-08 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Stephen Boots

i have a question, why windows live onecare is not compatible with windows 7? can you please answer my question broadly(im a a technically Inclined person)
    please i need an answer.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:01 PM

Answers

• Paul,

The time simply wasn't even spent to attempt to make them work together.

The reasons for this are the more difficult to answer, since they relate to why the decision was made to drop further development of Windows Live OneCare in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials, the recently released free anti-malware only product which took its place.  Though the complete publicity Announcement 11-18-08 that your title references gives the official reasons provided by Microsoft, it's likely there were many other factors behind the decision.

In the end though, it simply doesn't matter, since this is the direction being taken and with the release of MSE and end of sale for OneCare, it's all but completed at this point.

Rob
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Because development on Windows Live OneCare was ended in late 2008, before Windows 7 was released to public beta. Microsoft decided not to invest any more resources in OneCare and instead devoted resources to Microsoft Security Essentials. In order for OneCare to work on Windows 7, the program would have needed to be revised in order to install and run on Windows 7 as each version of Windows is unique.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:31 PM

All replies

• Paul,

The time simply wasn't even spent to attempt to make them work together.

The reasons for this are the more difficult to answer, since they relate to why the decision was made to drop further development of Windows Live OneCare in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials, the recently released free anti-malware only product which took its place.  Though the complete publicity Announcement 11-18-08 that your title references gives the official reasons provided by Microsoft, it's likely there were many other factors behind the decision.

In the end though, it simply doesn't matter, since this is the direction being taken and with the release of MSE and end of sale for OneCare, it's all but completed at this point.

Rob
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Because development on Windows Live OneCare was ended in late 2008, before Windows 7 was released to public beta. Microsoft decided not to invest any more resources in OneCare and instead devoted resources to Microsoft Security Essentials. In order for OneCare to work on Windows 7, the program would have needed to be revised in order to install and run on Windows 7 as each version of Windows is unique.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:31 PM
  • hi,

thank for answering my question.

how about this, how to be a MVP, ModeratorUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals like you in this forum?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:14 AM
  • hi,

thank for answering my question.

how about this, how to be a MVP, ModeratorUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals like you in this forum?

You're welcome.
    See here on what an MVP is: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx

-steve
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:28 PM