Update failure 80070006 RRS feed

• Question

• Following the System Tray icon prompt, I chose to upgrade but it failed with the message "Some updates were not configured" and the error code [80070006]. The "Get More Help" is of no value at that point :)

I closed that dialog, then opened the Notifier, which had a message to "Configure Live Desktop". I selected that, and got a UAC prompt, which I acknowledged, and after a moment or two got the initial problem report. My version is still .5
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:35 AM

Answers

• Crash2975 said:

Good that it worked for you, though bad news about the possible corruption :(

I did try a second time via Check For Updates, but still no joy.

Hi,

That error may indicate that some file or program has a lock on explorer.  If you can, it may help to reboot the computer and try the update again.  If that doesn't help, please go ahead and open a bug for us on this.  The log we're interested in is the Servicing log found (on Vista) in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Crash2975 Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:41 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hey,

I had the exact same error number, but on Windows XP. The "Get More Help" just linked to the main Live Mesh Help page (instead of detailed information about that number).

Running another update (right click -> Check for Updates) caused a further update to Live Mesh (though this time it didn't require that I close my browser or restart explorer) which seems to have succeeded and updated the version number.

I've collected logs, although there doesn't seem to be anything interesting regarding the install in there. There is a whole lot of other interesting things about what looks to be a corrupt mesh folder...

Oren
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Good that it worked for you, though bad news about the possible corruption :(

Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Crash2975 said:

Good that it worked for you, though bad news about the possible corruption :(

Hi,

That error may indicate that some file or program has a lock on explorer.  If you can, it may help to reboot the computer and try the update again.  If that doesn't help, please go ahead and open a bug for us on this.  The log we're interested in is the Servicing log found (on Vista) in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Crash2975 Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:41 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:39 PM
  • nachmore said:

Hey,

I had the exact same error number, but on Windows XP. The "Get More Help" just linked to the main Live Mesh Help page (instead of detailed information about that number).

Running another update (right click -> Check for Updates) caused a further update to Live Mesh (though this time it didn't require that I close my browser or restart explorer) which seems to have succeeded and updated the version number.

I've collected logs, although there doesn't seem to be anything interesting regarding the install in there. There is a whole lot of other interesting things about what looks to be a corrupt mesh folder...

Oren

Hi Oren,

As I mentioned above, the log that would probably provide the most useful information is the Servicing log.  On XP you should be able to find it at %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup.

Also, please do let us know if you're actually seeing corruption in that folder you mentioned.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Thanks, Ben

A reboot changed nothing, so Bug Report failed #399575

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Crash2975 said:

Thanks, Ben

A reboot changed nothing, so Bug Report failed #399575

Thanks for filing the bug.  I see it internally and I'll track it to follow up.  If you hear back from any Live Mesh team members via Connect, please feel free to update this forum thread.

Ben.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Yeah mine is the same and my computer cannot connect to internet through explorer. Where can i find the file or program that has the lock?

thanks

Charlie
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:54 AM
  • Yeah mine is the same and my computer cannot connect to internet through explorer. Where can i find the file or program that has the lock?

thanks

Charlie

Can you be more specific about your issue, Charlie. This old thread referred to an upgrade to Live Mesh failing. And, this was a year ago.
    So, in your case, when are you encountering the error? What OS are you using? And what do you mean "cannot connect to Internet through explorer?" Explorer is Windows Explorer and it doesn't connect to the Internet.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:17 PM