Access Denied when trying to change default template RRS feed

• Question

• Streets and Trips 2013 won't allow me to change the default template.  I get a message that I don't have permission and to check with the administrator.  I am the administrator so that's no help.  I have checked the properties and changed that from Everyone to Users and still got a message that Access Denied.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
    Monday, October 1, 2012 1:55 AM

All replies

• Have you checked the readonly setting on the template?

Even though your account is set as Administrator, you might need to right click on S&T and explicitly select "Run as Administrator"

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:10 PM
  • I've run into this with MapPoint, it's a bit of a pain. First, make sure you only have one copy of Streets & Trips or MapPoint open, you might also check processes (ctrl-alt-del) and kill any extra Streets & Trips or MapPoint processes.

Then save the map to some other location such as My Documents. Now you can save as a template and replace your default template.

The issue is that the template is "open" in Streets & Trips (or MapPoint) and the program has a lock on the file. So saving to somewhere else first removes the lock from the file.

Hope that makes sense. Let us know how it goes!

Eric

http://www.mapforums.com

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Right click the START icon select all users and walla you're in and can then navigate to the Template file in S&T and add whatever ,stt template you wish. However, I don't know how to make the new template the DEFAULT template. I could use some help there myself.

Robert

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:39 AM
  • This worked for me. Easier than trying to change the special permisson required to overwrite the S & T Template which you could do in previous versions.

As Administrator:

1.  Using S & T save the file you wish to use as a template (in any folder) and name as:  New North America Map.stt

2.  Using Windows Explorer select & copy the file just created (right click/copy)

3.  Using Windows Explorer navigate to Computer Main Drive (usually c:)/Program Data/Microsoft/19.0/Templates

Hint: - You may have to click on folder view setting and change to show hidden files if Program Data isn't visible

- I would suggest you rename the template file found there (New North America Map.stt) as: Original North America Map.stt first to preserve it as an original copy

4.  Paste your copy now as: New North America Map.stt

5.  Now each time you start S & T it will open this template. This will save you from having to load this map all the time as it will now be the template. You may use this method to change this template when a new map is required.  The map listed as: New North America Map.stt will be the default map. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A MAP OF THIS NAME AT ALL TIMES. You can save other maps in this template location as updates or backups. You can rename any map here (you will have to click as administrator)

I use: - New North America Map.stt

- New North America Map2.stt

- New North America Map3.stt, etc.

By renaming New North America Map.stt as New North America Map(n).stt then naming one of the other templates as New North America Map.stt I can easily change the current template as needed.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:58 PM
  • I've noticed that for some reason with MP13, they changed the permissions on the file or folder so you HAVE to use Windows Explorer to replace the default template.

Trying to Save as PTM from within MapPoint DOES NOT work.

Saving an E-mail attachment and using the e-mail clients Save As dialog DOES NOT work.

You have to copy the file from within Windows Explorer.

So if you have the file as e-mail attachment, save it somewhere first and THEN copy over the default template.

If you have the new default template open in Mappoint, directions are the same: save it somewhere first and then copy over the default template.

http://www.mapforums.com

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:40 PM