Negative star / galaxy zenith transit time? RRS feed

• Question

• Well it's pretty much self-explanatory: there's a bug of the transit time of stars and galaxies that shows negative values of hours and minutes:

I have noticed such a bug for more than a year, but it still has not been fixed. Hopefully it can be fixed in the next release.....

GPS

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• The issue is related to the Regional settings due to time and date formating issues. It is not reproducable in the US English (or many other regions) , can you give me the regional settings you are using (Region & langues in control panel) and I can reproduce and fix the bug. Most people don't see this, and we must not have caught it it our localization testing.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:49 PM
  • The issue is related to the Regional settings due to time and date formating issues. It is not reproducable in the US English (or many other regions) , can you give me the regional settings you are using (Region & langues in control panel) and I can reproduce and fix the bug. Most people don't see this, and we must not have caught it it our localization testing.

I missed the reply, but my region (and time zone) is set to Hong Kong and the language is set to traditional Chinese (Hong Kong).

Since July I've migrated to a new computer, as well as from Win7 to Win8, but nothing has changed.

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Well it's more than a year since I asked this - and with the new RC0 this problem is still not resolved. Can someone in the team take a look at it? Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Several times we have tried reproducing this using various language packs, date settings and localized versions of the Windows OS and we were never able to reproduce it.

I tried once more today, and could not reproduce the problem at all, until I realized it might not have anything at all to do with language or dates or time zones, but where you are observing from and when. When I switched both the viewing locations, and the local computers time zone to Hong Kong I was able to reproduce the issue. The issue is that when the local time zone and the viewing positions are both East of the prime meridian, and the times are early in the cycle, the calculated rise sets and transits may be calculated trigonometric results outside the range of 0-24 hours. The results for the combinations of east latitudes, time zones and times all worked together to produce a variation of more that -24, but still producing a negative time after adding a single 24 hours offset. The code could correct for +/- 24 hours outside this range, but not beyond. The code has been fixed to continue to loop until the time is properly in the correct range.

The bug will be fixed in the next WWT release, but you can add 24 hours to the displayed time to get the correct time until the build is available.

• Proposed as answer by WWT_Ben Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:56 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 6:03 PM
  • BTW - The latest version of WWT is now available: http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Download/. 
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:55 PM