none
Make the Forum Search Tool useful RRS feed

• Question

• The current Forum Search Tool is nearly useless.  Please add the following features to make it a functional tool:

1. Logical operators - i.e. allow the following searches: cow AND chicken, cow OR chicken, cow NOT chicken (or -chicken)

2. Quoted text to search for exact phrases - i.e. allow the following search: "my chicken says moo"

3. Results with date ranges - i.e. allow the following search: weird chicken, Results before 04/01/2012 or after 04/01/10 or between 04/01/2010 and 04/01/2012

4. Mix it up!  "My chicken says moo" AND "purple chicken feed" -cow, results after 12/23/2012

5. Search in one forum only - i.e. allow the following search: "chicken says moo" ONLY in the "Farm Animal Behavior" forum 

6. Search ONLY in posts (answers and/or questions) made by a particular user - i.e. allow the following search - "purple chicken feed" posted by user "Farmer Brown" ONLY

7. Do NOT include variations of words that you "think" might be "helpful".  Right now a search for the word "running" yields results that contain the following words: running, run, runs.  Weeding through all the useless "helpful" results is a huge waste of time and makes it difficult in the extreme to actually find "relevant" results.  HINT: There might be an actual REASON why we want to search for "running" and NOT "run" or "runs".

8. Please make the default operator AND instead of OR when more than one search word is used.  Adding more terms to a search tool should produce FEWER, MORE REFINED RESULTS instead of MORE, IRRELEVANT RESULTS.  Very few people ever want to search on a single word only.  This is especially true in a technical reference environment!

9. Sometimes I WANT a word spelled exactly as I typed it.  If I get results that I do not want because I misspelled a word, I can just retype the search.  If you FORCE me to use your spelling, this makes my search completely useless.  Please give us MORE options rather than less!

10. Remove search result highlighting.  We don't need the words we just searched for being blasted at us in highlighted bold.

NOTE: If there are any other requests for the search tool, post them as replies and I'll add them to this list.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:41 PM

All replies

• I would like to be able to:

Search within one forum.

Search only in answers (and questions) I have written.

Regards

Adrian

Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:48 PM
  • (Added #7 and 8 to the list)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:23 PM
  • (Added #7 and 8 to the list)

Just #8 alone (default AND instead of OR) would make the search usable. Right now it is totally useless.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:30 PM
  • I would just like to add my support for these comments.  At the moment the search experience of these forums is extremely poor.  The search experience would be massively enhanced simply by supporting point1 (make sure that all search words are matched) - I have never entered a search where I didn't want it.

If it is true that Microsoft are including variations of a word in the search (as per point 7), and not allowing the option for all words to be matched (point 1), without allowing these options to be changed, then this is the worst feature of a website I have ever seen.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:47 AM
  • If it is true that Microsoft are including variations of a word in the search (as per point 7), and not allowing the option for all words to be matched (point 1), without allowing these options to be changed, then this is the worst feature of a website I have ever seen.

No.  I would just mean that Okapi has been adopted by BING.   <eg>

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=67652

(BING search for
        okapi search site:microsoft.com
    )

<quote>

has the usual Boolean and quasi-Boolean (positional) operations and a number of non-standard set operations.

<quote>

When I first saw it was in TechNet Offline (several years ago).  Fortunately then Boolean was at least an option but unfortunately not a default, so I always had to add AND between all terms when I was interested in precision.  Now obviously Boolean is not an option.  But you must agree--searching is fast.   <eg>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I would add that when I "miss spell" a word, it is on purpose. The spelling I use is important. It does not help at all if my spelling is "corrected".

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:02 PM
  • I would add that when I "miss spell" a word, it is on purpose. The spelling I use is important. It does not help at all if my spelling is "corrected".

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Added this to the list.

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:08 PM
  • It does not help at all if my spelling is "corrected".

That's easily fixed though, just make your misspelling more incorrect so that it is only underlined.  Then you can go back and amend it to be the way that you wanted it to be in the first place.   I have to do this all the time with switches which refer to the letter i  (I just had to do it again--so type ii and then go back to make it just i.)   So, in a way, there is already the desired functionality available; it just may not be very obvious how to use it.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:18 PM
  • So you've now locked the Forum Redesign Q&A Area and said this:

"If you have a suggestion for the redesigned Forums please post these to Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums. Please limit one suggestion per post and we encourage users to vote up suggestions to bring attention to the Forums team."

Is there a threshold over which a suggestion needs to be for the Forums team to feel it is relevant enough to fix?  Are the 21 votes on this suggestion enough or does it need more?  Are the votes the ONLY thing that make a difference in deciding which bug to take care of?

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:17 PM
  • An announcement was recently posted to notify us that we can now search using AND by enclosing the query in quotes:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cd25502a-cc77-4d01-b032-98b30464d0fa/forums-release-search-improvements?forum=announce

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

This is not AND searching, but rather searching by exact phrase. But at least it is something.

IMHO, the search should work the same as Bing or Google, but restricted to the forums.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:20 AM
  • This is not AND searching, but rather searching by exact phrase. But at least it is something.

IMHO, the search should work the same as Bing or Google, but restricted to the forums.

Well, it's certainly more AND(ish) then we had before. =]

Finally the phrase 'Active Directory PowerShell Module' might mean something useful.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:53 AM
  • Not to be that guy, but this is extremely underwhelming.  This not And Searching.  Yes it is an improvement but geez many times the terms I want to look for are not part of a single phrase. 

I REALLY hope this is not the only fix planned for the search tool.

Monday, June 16, 2014 4:02 PM
  • I also couldn't agree more with the requirements expressed in this thread.   The ideal would be for the forum search to support standard Bing or Google search terms.  Short of that, the features that I would find most useful are

(1) Combining two search terms with a logical AND operation, e.g.

subprojects AND read

(2) Allowing a logical NOT operation, e.g.

subproject AND NOT write

Jim

...Jim Black

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Add my name to this list. A good number of the original suggestions need to be implemented before Microsoft can be taken seriously as a search engine provider.

At the very least, provide an "advanced search" which allows Booleans as an additional option to the current "simple search".

Peter

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:04 PM
  • i have posted many question but now i want to search a particular post by searching this forum but i found search is not finding in my thread rather it is searching keyword in all thread. so guide me how to search my posted question only in this forum? who can help. please develop a powerful search for msdn forum. thanks
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Hi,
    i have posted many question but now i want to search a particular post by searching this forum but i found search is not finding in my thread rather it is searching keyword in all thread. so guide me how to search my posted question only in this forum? who can help. please develop a powerful search for msdn forum. thanks

Searching in one forum is currently possible, you just need to make sure that you only have a single forum selected in the left rail:

This walkthrough is a bit out of date now, but it should still be helpful for selecting only a single forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18107.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-view-a-single-forum.aspx

PS - I posted this same information (without the screenshot and FAQ link though) in your thread.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:59 PM