Difficulties Connecting My Computer To The Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having difficulties connecting my computer(s) to WHS. The computers that are trying to connect to the server are running XP. My two XP computers were previously connected to my WHS, but I upgraded the processor and motherboard on my WHS so I performed a new install of WHS. I deleted the WHS connector software in add/delete programs on the XP machines and am unable to re-install to my newly installed server.

Here is what I'm doing and what is happening.

I'm accessing the following web address: http://server/connect/

I then download the software for windows and attempt to run the software and I receive this error:
    An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network

I then followed the following instructions from Microsoft with no luck because the WSS Certificate Web Service is already running:

Issue

When I try to connect a client computer to the server, I receive the error message, “An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network.”

Description

The WSS Certificate Web Service might not be running.

Solution

Start the WSS Certificate Web Service.

To start the WSS Certificate Web Service

• On the server, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.

• In the navigation pane, click WSS Certificate Web Service.

• In the Actions pane, click Start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:57 PM

All replies

• 1.  Ensure that WHS is fully updated.  Remote desktop into WHS(or log on directly to WHS), open the WHS Console, go to settings/general/update now. Repeat until no new updates are offered.

2.  Ensure, time zone, date and time are correct and synchronized on WHS and client computers.  Double check the time zone.

3.  Run the Connector install again.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm having difficulties connecting my computer(s) to WHS. The computers that are trying to connect to the server are running XP. My two XP computers were previously connected to my WHS, but I upgraded the processor and motherboard on my WHS so I performed a new install of WHS. I deleted the WHS connector software in add/delete programs on the XP machines and am unable to re-install to my newly installed server.

I'm accessing the following web address: http://server/connect/

I then download the software for windows and attempt to run the software and I receive this error:
    An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network

I then followed the following instructions from Microsoft with no luck because the WSS Certificate Web Service is already running:

Issue

When I try to connect a client computer to the server, I receive the error message, "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network."

Description

Solution

On the server, click Start  , click Administrative Tools  , and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager  .
    In the navigation pane, click WSS Certificate Web Service  .
    In the Actions pane, click Start  .

Thank you!

BullDawg
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:52 PM
  • 1.  Ensure that WHS is fully updated.  Remote desktop into WHS(or log on directly to WHS), open the WHS Console, go to settings/general/update now. Repeat until no new updates are offered.

2.  Ensure, time zone, date and time are correct and synchronized on WHS and client computers.  Double check the time zone.

3.  Run the Connector install again.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm having difficulties connecting my computer(s) to WHS. The computers that are trying to connect to the server are running XP. My two XP computers were previously connected to my WHS, but I upgraded the processor and motherboard on my WHS so I performed a new install of WHS. I deleted the WHS connector software in add/delete programs on the XP machines and am unable to re-install to my newly installed server.

I'm accessing the following web address: http://server/connect/

Issue

When I try to connect a client computer to the server, I receive the error message, "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network."

Description

Solution

On the server, click Start  , click Administrative Tools  , and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager  .
    In the navigation pane, click WSS Certificate Web Service  .
    In the Actions pane, click Start  .

Thank you!

BullDawg

BullDawg - thanks for the reply. I confirmed that WHS has all of the current updates installed and the clocks are in sync with the correct time zone. Still the same issues. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

• Edited by onedummy Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:32 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Reboot WHS and run updates again through the WHS Console.  If no updates are offered, then the supported fix is to do a server reinstallation keeping in mind that all updates to include PP3 need to be installed before you attempt to install the Connector on client computers.  Also, keep in mind that the support method of updating is through the WHS Console (settings/general/update now).  Using the start menu to access Windows Update can offer updates that will break WHS.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg - thanks for the reply. I confirmed that WHS has all of the current updates installed and the clocks are in sync with the correct time zone. Still the same issues. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

BullDawg
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:37 AM
  •  

Reboot WHS and run updates again through the WHS Console.  If no updates are offered, then the supported fix is to do a server reinstallation keeping in mind that all updates to include PP3 need to be installed before you attempt to install the Connector on client computers.  Also, keep in mind that the support method of updating is through the WHS Console (settings/general/update now).  Using the start menu to access Windows Update can offer updates that will break WHS.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    BullDawg - Thanks again for the continued assistance. All of the updates are installed through the WHS Console update method. I didn't use the start method to update the WHS. What is PP3? I'm going to try and reinstall later today. I'll report back how that works.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:53 AM
  • <onedummy> wrote in message news:ac29ff55-ee9f-4a4d-a60c-1f3df179d593@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Reboot WHS and run updates again through the WHS Console. If no updates are offered, then the supported fix is to do a server reinstallation keeping in mind that all updates to include PP3 need to be installed before you attempt to install the Connector on client computers. Also, keep in mind that the support method of updating is through the WHS Console (settings/general/update now). Using the start menu to access Windows Update can offer updates that will break WHS.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

-- BullDawg

BullDawg - Thanks again for the continued assistance. All of the updates are installed through the WHS Console update method. I didn't use the start method to update the WHS. What is PP3? I'm going to try and reinstall later today. I'll report back how that works.

PP3 is PowerPack 3.  To check to see if you have it installed open WHS Console, Click on Settings and then scroll all the way down in the left pane looking for "Resources" and click on it.  The right pane should say "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3".   If it doesn't, let me know.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:02 AM
  • BullDawg - I just realized that I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm running WHS 2011. My apologies. I'm going to re-post over in the correct forum. Thank you for your assistance!

Moderators - could this thread be deleted?

Thank you!

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:12 PM
  • If you are now talking WHS2011, have you looked at this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.aspx

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:10 PM