get node management information C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get node management information of windows hpc server 2008 from c#, but I can't find any information.
    The information I want to get are like "HPC Cluster Manager -> Node Management -> Heat Map -> CPU Usage, disk throughput etc."

Could someone help me on this problem?

Thank you
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Hiasa,

I should mention that our user level heat map is still a prototype and it'll work only with HPC Server 2008 R2 (not HPC 2008). So you can see we are still collecting user feedback. I cannot gurantte the availability yet.

Sorry for that.

Thanks
    Yiding
    • Marked as answer by hiasa Monday, December 14, 2009 7:07 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We don't provide a public managed API to retreive management related information. If you do need those kind of data, please use the cmdlet in PowerShell - get-hpcmetricvalue and get-hpcmetric.

-yiding
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Hi yiding,

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried the commands and they worked.
    But looks like only the Administrator could use the command.
    If there a way for power users to access those information? (Both from powershell and hpc cluster manager)

hiasa
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:20 AM
  • There is no "power user" role. You are either a user (no access to node management information) or an admin for the cluster.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Hi Wang,

Thank you for the reply.

What I really want to know is if there is a way for a non admin user to access management related information ?

I think the answer is "no", but I am hoping that I am wrong with that.

Thanks

Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Unfortunately, the answer is "no" for HPC Server 2008.

We have heard some requests from our customer for non-admin user to see the heatmap (for CPU and disk usage, etc.). It'll be helpful to us to understand for what purpose you want your normal user to see those information? Can you explain a little bit?

Thanks
    Yiding
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:41 AM
  • There are people developing MPI applications in the company, so heatmaps make it easier to debug the application (or check the performance).
    We do give developers admin accounts, so they could access heatmaps. But people submit or cancel jobs a lot when they debug applications, so sometimes people deletes other people's job in accident. For that reason, I was wondering if non-admin users could access heatmaps, so developers could check heatmaps and also prevent them from deleting other people's job.

Regards, 
    Hiasa
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:31 AM
  • There are people developing MPI applications in the company, so heatmaps make it easier to debug the application (or check the performance).

We are currently developping an user heat map targeting the scenario that developers may need to see if their applications are running the way as expected. But we only plan to expose a limited number of metrics; currently CPU usage, available memory, disk throughput and network traffic are on our list. Hiasa, could you please let me know if these metrics meet your request, or are there any other specific metrics you are interested in?

Thanks,
    Ye
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Hi Ye,

I am sorry for the late reply. I had been asking my coworkers to see if they have any request.
    My coworker would like to have a heat map that shows available cores of a node.
    It would be nice to know the amount of cores available on a node, since not all assigned cores are active at all time.
    Another request is to access the composition of the node group. 
    By the way, do you know when is this user heat map going to be available for us to use?

Thank you
    • Edited by hiasa Monday, December 14, 2009 2:08 AM update
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Hi Hiasa,

I should mention that our user level heat map is still a prototype and it'll work only with HPC Server 2008 R2 (not HPC 2008). So you can see we are still collecting user feedback. I cannot gurantte the availability yet.

Sorry for that.

Thanks
    Yiding
    • Marked as answer by hiasa Monday, December 14, 2009 7:07 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hi Yiding,

Thank you for the reply.
    I will be waiting for R2 release .... summer 2010?

regards,

Hiasa
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:07 AM
  • eh... I'm not allowed to comment on that. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Any new Ideas?
    http://www.cleverprints.com/
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:35 AM