Advantage or not ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Like a silly boy, I bought a "full retail" copy of XP on eBay from a guy who, it turns out had bought it from China.
    All nicely boxed and genuine looking and pricewise it was up in the ballpark (i.e. it wasn't 50 bucks) but it was counterfeit.
    I am in negotations to get a refund either from the seller or from paypal, but in the meantime I want to understand if the licence rules around WGA are the same as a full retail copy or are more matched to OEM.

The reason I bought retail was because I am a developer and in order to educate myself on the software I use I want to run VMWARE on my home PC.  
    To allow this I wanted to build a few (perhaps 3 or 4) Virtual Machines on my home PC and need to have full retail to do this. (I still have question marks as to whether XP PRO qualifies for the same licencing as Vista ultimate in that Vista ultimate allows you to create VM's on the same PC  with just one licence, but that's for another day)

So.....      is it

WGA = Full Retail
    OR

WGA = OEM

from a licencing perspective.

Answers on a postcard please

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:24 AM

All replies

• Bellwaldron,

If the product materials you received qualify as "high-quality counterfeits", Microsoft will evaluate the materials and if they are indeed found to meet their criteria for being high qualit counterfeits, Microsoft will replace them for free with genuine Windows.  Keep that in mind as another option if your refund efforts fall short.

It is my understanding that the WGA Kit shipped to USA customers includes a full retail license.  There are two major advantages to a full retail license:  the product is supported directly by Microsoft, and the license for XP can be moved from one computer to another as long as it is installed and activated on only one computer at a time.

We have been told by posters in other areas of the world (Asia) that in their region, the WGA kit is governed by a supplemental End User Licensing Agreement that limits installation to one computer and does NOT permit the movement/transfer of the license to any other computer.

BTW if you are a developer Microsoft has a special offer for you to acquire legal Microsoft software at reduced prices for developmental purposes thru the MSDN network:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa718656.aspx

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:57 AM