security flaw RRS feed

• Question

• ok here's my deal. i have a massive security flaw in my server
    i live in a dorm so there are a lot of people connected on the network
    i give about 10 access to it

here is my problem an acquaintance Travis came into my room tonight and was wandering what my server was called because he was using his x box to stream music and movies from a computer. turns out its mine. i didnt give him access to that all i want it to either patch this or disable this. heres what i have which might effect your response

i have fresh install of WHS with all updates to today
    i have orb running so i can stream music movies etc
    i have 10 or so ppl connecting via remote access.
    other than that...thats all i got
    it seems to me i need to disable anonomouy login from somewhere or from windows media play since i see that on the network and sharing center i have no clue how to go about this or if this is even right ? please help

There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:38 AM

Answers

• David The 1337 said:

ok here's my deal. i have a massive security flaw in my server

here is my problem an acquaintance Travis came into my room tonight and was wandering what my server was called because he was using his x box to stream music and movies from a computer. turns out its mine. i didnt give him access to that all i want it to either patch this or disable this. heres what i have which might effect your response

it seems to me i need to disable anonomouy login from somewhere or from windows media play since i see that on the network and sharing center i have no clue how to go about this or if this is even right ? please help

There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont

Either A) you have Media Sharing enabled or B) you have your Guest account enabled.  Please make sure those are both disabled (including Orb), then see if he can access your server.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:51 AM

All replies

• David The 1337 said:

ok here's my deal. i have a massive security flaw in my server

Either A) you have Media Sharing enabled or B) you have your Guest account enabled.  Please make sure those are both disabled (including Orb), then see if he can access your server.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:51 AM
  • OK well your right i found the media sharing apparently i had it on don't remember turning that on.

Is there anyway to have that on but not having anonymous log in ? like having a password just like you were to connect to it on a computer?

now the problem lies is orb how would i go about disabling the media sharing on orb b/c there is no options really in the actual program

Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:18 PM
  • oh never mind i found the option thanks guys
    but i would still like to know if you can put a login on the media streaming

Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:21 PM

• David The 1337 said:

... but i would still like to know if you can put a login on the media streaming

No. Or at least it's unsupported and undocumented. (i.e. I've never seen anything about how to do it.) It is, after all, not something that a family is likely to want to do.

You can submit a product suggestion on Connect, but I would expect that media handling will change significantly with the next major release of WHS (whatever it's called, whenever it's available). I don't know that what you're trying to do is going to be in "the vision" so to speak.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:54 PM