Image Thumbnails in Web UI RRS feed

• Question

• I already filed a bug regarding this, you can add your support here. I thought I'd mention it here as well.

Right now the Web UI is VERY basic. Right now if you visit a dirctory filled with images using the Web UI you are presented with a list...these should at least have a thumbnail for each image. Perhaps this could be something like a hover thumbnail (but even that would be a bad idea).

Also, slightly off topic, it would be useful to somehow enable people to listen to a mp3 file they have backed up on the server. This could be accomplished easily with a little Flash widget (and I am sure it is possible using ASP.NET, C#, or Atlas ...but I am not familiar with those coding platforms).

I am just trying to think of ways to make the Web UI actually useful, because right now it is quite painful to use, and therefore I rarely ever use it.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:39 PM

All replies

• There are actually several suggestions on Connect for the thumbnail feature. The most heavily voted one is marked postponed, so we won't be seeing it for V1. But it would certainly be nice.

The web interface to the shares is supposed to grant you access to your "stuff," I believe, not have a lot of cool features. Something like an MP3 player would be nice to include, but I don't think Microsoft sees that as a core part of the product. (i.e. I don't think we'll see it included with WHS.) The SDK shows how to easily add links to the current remote access web site, though, so it should be possible to create a small add-on site that contains a flash or other embedded player and maybe a library browser. I would personally suggest it be secured, so only authenticated users will be able to stream from your WHS. (This would lessen the possibility that the whole world would decide to start streaming your MP3s, saturate your network connection, and possibly cause your ISP to cut you off for running a server.)
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:29 PM