HP Mediasmart Server no longer shows songs in iTunes RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart Server running version 2.5 of the OS.  I can see the server in iTunes, but songs no longer show up.  This worked in the past.  I don't know if the problem started when upgrading to iTunes 10, but that's possible.

"Server for Itunes" is enabled, and the check interval is 5 minutes.

I haven't touched the settings in "Media Collector", but I think this is only used for harvesting songs from other computers on my network.  So, I don't see how it would cause any problems.

Any ideas?

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:14 AM

Answers

• I'm having the same issue and I also just upgraded to iTunes version 10. It looks like Apple or Microsoft needs to update the software to allow sharing again.

Not Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't supply the iTunes streaming server that's included with the HP MediaSmart; it is (or was, don't know about the most recent versions of the HP software) the open source FlreFly Media Server, which is not under active development. And probably not HP either; they don't have the right resources to address this at all, I would bet.

And not Apple; I'm sure Apple is aware of FireFly but they don't like independent ISVs reverse engineering their protocols very much. And they're aware of this particular issue; there are posts in their forums, and bug reports have apparently been submitted already. So unfortunately, if you've built your home audio streaming solution around iTunes and FairPlay-DRMed audio, you're stuck with iTunes and Apple for the foreseeable future if you upgrade. (And people complain about how Microsoft "locks you in" to their tools. Apple's been doing this sort of thing a long time...)

Bottom line: don't upgrade to iTunes 10 if you want to stream to iTunes clients. Converting to a different format will, most likely, mean tossing your current MP3 player: if you've got a ton of iTunes audio, presumably you've got an iPod today. Good luck finding one which will hold as much as an iPod Classic...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by be789 Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:11 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:53 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue and I also just upgraded to iTunes version 10. It looks like Apple or Microsoft needs to update the software to allow sharing again.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:58 AM

Not Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't supply the iTunes streaming server that's included with the HP MediaSmart; it is (or was, don't know about the most recent versions of the HP software) the open source FlreFly Media Server, which is not under active development. And probably not HP either; they don't have the right resources to address this at all, I would bet.

And not Apple; I'm sure Apple is aware of FireFly but they don't like independent ISVs reverse engineering their protocols very much. And they're aware of this particular issue; there are posts in their forums, and bug reports have apparently been submitted already. So unfortunately, if you've built your home audio streaming solution around iTunes and FairPlay-DRMed audio, you're stuck with iTunes and Apple for the foreseeable future if you upgrade. (And people complain about how Microsoft "locks you in" to their tools. Apple's been doing this sort of thing a long time...)

Bottom line: don't upgrade to iTunes 10 if you want to stream to iTunes clients. Converting to a different format will, most likely, mean tossing your current MP3 player: if you've got a ton of iTunes audio, presumably you've got an iPod today. Good luck finding one which will hold as much as an iPod Classic...

• Marked as answer by be789 Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:11 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:53 PM
  • I didn't think about checking the iTunes forums. Figures Apple would shut down an outside source, very typical. Which is why I'll never go Mac!

The sad thing is I do have an iPod Classic with tons of music on it and I do use the server as a streaming source for the house and when away as well. I wonder if there is a way to roll back iTunes.

And just an FYI for anyone else who reads this, if you're only wanting to use your iTunes music on other computers you can turn on Home Sharing under the Advanced tab and you'll at least be able to have the same iTunes on every computer. You can also set up remote access to your computers and access things that way. It certainly isn't the same nor as convenient as using the HP Server, but it does give you other options.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:56 PM
  • http://appletoolbox.com/2010/09/how-to-downgrade-itunes-10-to-itunes-9-2-1/

This is the link to downgrade iTunes for Mac and Windows.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:24 PM
  • ... I wonder if there is a way to roll back iTunes. ...

I haven't tried a downgrade (I haven't upgraded to iTunes 10; I've lived through enough of these cycles to know better), but old versions of iTunes can be found on the net, if you do even the most cursory search. However, when you upgrade iTunes, it upgrades your iTunes library as well, and it probably also upgrades the digital keyring that iTunes maintains. So downgrading may leave you in an even worse place than upgrading did: completely unable to play your DRM content (and everyone who uses iTunes probably has some content protected by FairPlay; I have a couple of hundred and I don't buy music in the iTunes Store) anywhere.

Home Sharing is nice, but... If you're streaming, it requires you to have a PC on, in addition to your server. If you're copying content from computer to computer you wind up with several copies of everything (= content management headaches that your server is supposed to solve for you), and you still need a computer on for streaming, in addition to your server. And can current network media receivers that Firefly works with today accept/process the output of iTunes 10 streaming? I'd bet not; Apple really wants you to buy more Apple hardware and that's a really obvious hole to fill.

I'll note that there are ways to remove FairPlay DRM. For what I hope are obvious reasons, I'm not going to "name names", but I'll note that several (some still available if you search) are mentioned in the Wikipedia article on FairPlay. The legality of doing so is questionable (breaking encryption or data protection schemes for any reason is explicitly prohibited by the DMCA in the US), however once you've removed the DRM you can convert the file to another format if you wish to do so. Current audio content from the iTunes Store has no DRM, I believe, so you can convert recent purchases as well, plus anything you've ripped into iTunes yourself.

The biggest fly in the ointment is the iPod, to be honest. MP3 players with the capacity of the iPod Classic 160 GB model are thin on the ground (Apple and Archos, that I know of) and if you use that capacity today, you will absolutely hate a lower capacity player. Still, I'm beginning to see either a Zune or an Android tablet in my future...

Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.  I guess it is indeed related to upgrading to iTunes 10.  For the record, I have downgraded before (perhaps from 9.2 to 9.1 perhaps), and it worked fine for my purposes.  There are old copies of iTunes on some site somewhere, but caveat emptor.

I've switched to the Zune software, and it's working OK.  It won't play songs with Apple's DRM, but I don't have many of those.  I didn't realize you can use the Zune software without a Zune.  It's worth looking at.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:11 PM