Cannot add WD Caviar Green Hard Drives to my WHS - format error RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed WHS to an old computer I had. It is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600 P4 3.2 GHz with 2.5 GB RAM. The system disk is an old ATA drive with 120 GB, but I also added a PCI SATA card and two WD Caviar Green 1 TB drives to the system.

Initially I had big problems installing WHS on the machine. That is, the install went fine, but apparently one of the updates broke the system. After a lot of trial and error I burned the ISO to a new DVD and was finally able to get everything working. My system is now completely updated with PP3.

The problem I have is that although WHS sees my two SATA drives, I am unable to add them to the server storage.
    When I click add the process of formatting the drive(s) start, but ends with an error message stating that WHS was unable to format the drive due to another process accessing the drive. It recommends restarting the WHS and try again. Which I of course have done multiple times to no avail.

Anyone have any tips or solutions? Your help is appreciated

Ken-Tore
    Friday, July 9, 2010 10:45 AM

Answers

• I finally solved it;

- Closer inspection showed that my motherboard, a GA-8ISXT had two SATA ports on it, so I removed the PCI card (as well as a wireless lan card and and Audigy 2 sound card) - restarted the computer - went into BIOS and set SATA settings to Auto.

- The WHS rebootet in an instant and I had no problem adding my hard drives (now listed as internal (ATA) instead of internal (SCSI))

So I guess the culprit all along was the SATA PCI card and the way it was set up. Wasted money - but at least the system is running smoothly.

Thanks for trying to help - much appreciated!

Ken-Tore AboKevin http://abokevin.com
    • Marked as answer by Ken-Tore Friday, July 9, 2010 9:38 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 9:38 PM

All replies

• try partitioning the drive(s) using another computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:25 PM
  • How big are the disks?
    Did you try to clean them as described in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool?

Is it one of those new disks with 4K sectors? (In this case try to set the jumper for compatibility).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 9, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I finally solved it;

- Closer inspection showed that my motherboard, a GA-8ISXT had two SATA ports on it, so I removed the PCI card (as well as a wireless lan card and and Audigy 2 sound card) - restarted the computer - went into BIOS and set SATA settings to Auto.

- The WHS rebootet in an instant and I had no problem adding my hard drives (now listed as internal (ATA) instead of internal (SCSI))

So I guess the culprit all along was the SATA PCI card and the way it was set up. Wasted money - but at least the system is running smoothly.

Thanks for trying to help - much appreciated!

Ken-Tore AboKevin http://abokevin.com
    • Marked as answer by Ken-Tore Friday, July 9, 2010 9:38 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 9:38 PM