windows one care frezzing or not responding RRS feed

• Question

• when i open windows one care it does the scan thing then opens up and a message apears say can down load a update then totaly frezzes i have uninstalled and reinstalled three time and just the same although i totaly reinstalled

can any one help i dont know why but i cant find a way of contactind microsoft about this
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• garygreen,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

See if this helps (for VIsta):

Please try the following once more and if you are still getting the yellow/fair status continue with the instructions below and we can help to further investigate this for you.

1.       Go to the windows update site and click on “check for updates”. Ensure that there are no pending updates

2.       Restart the OneCare service. Steps below

a.       Open command prompt

i.      XP -> Click Start ->Run>type CMD>then click OK

ii.      VISTA -> Click Start -> Right click on “Command Prompt” -> click “run as administrator”

b.      In the command prompt

i.      Type NET STOP WINSS then hit enter

ii.      Type NET START WINSS then hit enter

c.       Close command prompt

d.      Wait for 5 minutes and then open OneCare and verify if the action item is disappeared

Let me know if this has helped!

Otherwise,  please follow the instructions here for contacting OneCare support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Lori MS

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:32 PM
  • While restarting the OneCare services might work, it would probably be a very short-lived solution, since it wouldn’t address the source of the problem. If OneCare stalls during the update process, this could be related to the system time and date. I would try the suggestions in this thread before contacting OneCare support: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2988566&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:52 PM
  • when i waited 5mins + i opened one care and it gave me a message saying it was stopped i needed to restart my computor

restarted my computor one care did not auto start i had to manual start  the scanner runs then the large window appears with no letters on it and the icon in the right hand side does not appear but in the back ground it must be doing something as i got a trogent in a email and it detected it

more suggestion would be help full please
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Click Start, then Run (XP) or Start (Vista) and then type "Services.msc". Then click OK (XP) or press Enter (Vista). Scroll down the list of services and right click on OneCare Antispyware and Antivirus, and then click on properties. Set the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service if it isn’t started. Click Apply and then OK. Repeat this procedure for the OneCare Firewall, Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Live OneCare Health Monitor services, and then restart the computer.

If this gets you back where you started from, then you’ll still need to attempt to address the freezing problem by checking the system time and resetting permissions on the OneCare folder as described in the link above.   

If things don’t get any better, then you’ll need to contact OneCare Support for help: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2   

GreginMich

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:19 PM
  • garygreen,

Please run the OneCare Safety Scanner as you may have a virus on your computer.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

Once it has completed, check to see if there were any viruses detected and removed.

If OneCare is not listed under Add/Remove programs, re-run the OneCare removal tool once

and reinstall OneCare.

If this doesn't work out, contact support.

GreginMich has some helpful suggestions as well. 

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:26 PM