Not able to power down to Standby and Hibernation mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there. I am hoping you can assist me. I have an Acer Aspire easyStore H341 server running WHS with the Power Pack 3. Below you will find the Version Information. Up until a couple of days ago, I am unable to put my server in standby mode, either through the regular method of pressing the <Start> button then select <Shut Down> then selecting standby form the drop down list, or via a 3rd party software such as LightsOut. I have also discovered I am not able to put the server in Hibernation mode either. The only option that works is the Shut down option which powers down the server. This has only evolved since an automatic update from Microsoft was downloaded and installed automatically a couple of days; nothing else has changed not evening installing new content. If you can assist me with this dilemma, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from you some time soon. 

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:38 AM

All replies

• Check your servers power options? From the Desktop (be warned: this is unsupported for WHS) conto the control panel, "Power options")
    You also might want to read Article ID: 324347 (How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Thank you for the advice however it doesn't assist or explain why standby and Hibernate no longer works. I have read the article in addition to removing all the updates I had downloaded. This too does not resolve my issues. It just seems standby no longer works and I cannot understand why. Do you have any other advice?

-Hani

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:37 AM
  • It's because you are out of space on the o/s drive. i had the same issue remove any unnessary items and you will be ok.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Thank you Big Holmes for the tip. I simply got frustrated after countless days of trial and error and decided to rebuild the server. It all now works, and I think based on your feedback you may have been correct. I will never know now as I have read your response after the rebuild. In the situation this occurs again I will certainly try your suggestion. Thank you once again and take care.

Hani

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:17 AM