Does the November update require a new restore cd....? RRS feed

• Question

• Does the November update require a new restore cd (since the connector software was updated on all the clients)?

If so, where do I get it?

And more broadly, in the future, as updates are released, how do I know when I need a new restore cd (then I don't have to bother the good folks here at the forums everytime there is a new update :-) )?

Thanks.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:41 PM

Answers

• Shangwe said:

Does the November update require a new restore cd (since the connector software was updated on all the clients)?

No.

Shangwe said:

And more broadly, in the future, as updates are released, how do I know when I need a new restore cd (then I don't have to bother the good folks here at the forums everytime there is a new update :-) )?

Thanks.

This is only a guess, but I would assume it would only happen with "major" updates (such as Power Pack 1).

• Marked as answer by Shangwe Monday, December 8, 2008 1:58 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:29 AM

All replies

• Shangwe said:

Does the November update require a new restore cd (since the connector software was updated on all the clients)?

No.

Shangwe said:

Thanks.

This is only a guess, but I would assume it would only happen with "major" updates (such as Power Pack 1).

• Marked as answer by Shangwe Monday, December 8, 2008 1:58 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Thanks.

I went ahead and tried to restore one computer with the current restore CD (the July 21, 2008 for PP1 version).

After getting through all the screens to start the restore, but before the restore began, I got the message "An unknown network error has occurred during PC restore. Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on."

I tried again, and got the same message.

I started the WHS console on another computer and all seemed well: WHS was on, connected, I was able to browse folders on it.

Tried the restore a 3rd time. This time it worked fine, as usual.

I'm not sure what happened, or how I would go about finding out (which error logs? How to find them on the WHS?), but thought I'd post this in case others ran into a similar issue. Maybe mine was just a fluke as it's the first time this has happened in about 1 year of owning a WHS (HP Mediasmart).

Monday, December 8, 2008 2:07 AM
  • Shangwe said:

No, but there is a new version of the Restore CD available (actually, it was released in July):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&displaylang=en
    Note that this installs a little funky:
    Download it to your desktop, and 'unblock' it.  Copy it to a (public) share on the WHS.  Remote Desktop into the WHS, browse to the share that you copied it to, and install it (from within the RDP session.)
    You can now burn the ISO from one of your clients.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:38 AM
  • This link is not valid,
    Please use this link (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=104683) for downloading the latest restore CD...

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Theo van Elsberg said:

This link is not valid,
    Please use this link for downloading the latest restore CD...

Actually, that link doesn't work either. :)

There is a known issue with certain types of links.  The path you want is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91CC-4F37-B1FC-3813C423DF2C&displaylang=en

Just copy and paste that path into your browser.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Thanks Kariya,

Did not check after posting... Grr...
    Seems to be a problem with the forums editor: the URL inserted gets changed after submitting (!) so added plain text.

Btw, the link redirects to same location you quote.
    Theo.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Yay, forum bug!  Grrr.

Kariya's method (copy & paste) works. 
    Alternately (and, this has the advantage of "will work in future, should it get updated again), do a Google search for "Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD"
    You'll find (right about at the top of the list) the link to that page at the MS download center.

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:18 AM