Help-- Remote Desktop ActiveX control error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since a couple of days ago when I tried to open and log on WHS console on one of my client computers I got a pop up box says " An error occurred in the Remote Desktop ActiveX control installed on your computer". If I dismiss the box by click OK, and try again, it gives another error message saying "Windoes Home Server Console has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." and the console window closes.

I didn't install anything or make any changes to this computer before this happened (except the automatic update). I tried to uninstall and reinstall WHS console but same error remains. I can however access the WHS use remote desktop.

I don't have this problem if I use my other client pc.

My WHS is up to date (automatic update enabled) and works fine. All shares on WHS can be accessed as normal. The client computer have XP SP3 and is fully update to date as well. I ran chkdsk on it and no problem found. Network and everything else is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since a couple of days ago when I tried to open and log on WHS console on one of my client computers I got a pop up box says " An error occurred in the Remote Desktop ActiveX control installed on your computer". If I dismiss the box by click OK, and try again, it gives another error message saying "Windoes Home Server Console has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." and the console window closes.

I didn't install anything or make any changes to this computer before this happened (except the automatic update). I tried to uninstall and reinstall WHS console but same error remains. I can however access the WHS use remote desktop.

I don't have this problem if I use my other client pc.

My WHS is up to date (automatic update enabled) and works fine. All shares on WHS can be accessed as normal. The client computer have XP SP3 and is fully update to date as well. I ran chkdsk on it and no problem found. Network and everything else is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    If it's working on one client and not another, I would say it's client related.  You might try resetting the Internet Options on the client that isn't working (open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset).
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the help. Tried it and restarted client but the problem still there. I also think it is client related, however I never had any problem on clients or WHS since I set it up 2 years ago. Might be some recent XP update caused this?

Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the help. Tried it and restarted client but the problem still there. I also think it is client related, however I never had any problem on clients or WHS since I set it up 2 years ago. Might be some recent XP update caused this?

This past Tuesday was "Patch Tuesday" and there were a few updates for XP.  If it started around that time frame, I guess it's possible.  You could always try uninstalling whatever updates got installed that day (at least the ones that can be uninstalled) and see if it helps any.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Uninstalled all updates since Oct 14 and still doesn't work...
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Uninstalled all updates since Oct 14 and still doesn't work...

How long ago was the last time it worked from that client?  Have you installed any programs since that time on that client?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Can't remember exactely but should be around 2-3 weeks ago. Have not installed any program in the last few months.

Is this Remote ActiveX control something can be uninstalled/reinstalled? And why the remote desktop session still works?

Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Can't remember exactely but should be around 2-3 weeks ago. Have not installed any program in the last few months.

Is this Remote ActiveX control something can be uninstalled/reinstalled?

I believe you can disable it in XP, but it cannot be uninstalled.
    And why the remote desktop session still works?
    Because a traditional RDC doesn't use ActiveX (it's strictly for Remote Access).  You might try the solutions posted in these threads and see if they help:

Error occurred in remote desktop activex control

XP Service Pack 3 - Remote Access via RDP BROKEN
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Tried both solution. Neither worked.

Guess I'll have to reinstall my client sometime...or restore it to an earlier back up...nice to have a WHS :)
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:46 AM