Why won't my custom workflow assembly update? RRS feed

• Question

• I have written my first custom workflow assembly. It has an input parameter (string) and an output parameter (string). The output parameter returns the text "Hello, " with the input parameter appended (input="World", output="Hello, World).  I used this within a workflow that updates an account on demand and it works perfectly.

I then went back to the code and changed it to say "Goodbye" instead of "Hello". I changed the version number of the assembly and recompiled it. I then unregistered the old assembly and re-registered the new version. When I run my workflow, the message still updates to "Hello", not "Goodbye". I tried deleting the workflow and unregistering the assembly to ensure no references were still hanging around. I then re-registered the new DLL and recreated the workflow. It still shows "Hello" rather than "Goodbye".

Does anyone have any idea why this may be?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

when you update a workflow plugin with the Pluginregistrationtool then you only have to restart the MSCRM ASync-Service on the server, you don't need a IIS-Reset for this.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Sulz Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlackWasp Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to the following after making update to your assembly,
    you need to re-register that assembly (i.e. update the assembly).
    restart crm asynservice on server,
    and iis reset !!

Delete and try adding that step again !

Regards,
    Nishant Rana
    http://nishantrana.wordpress.com
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:38 AM
  • That's not really an option. This is a hosted CRM system with many other companies - I can't just reset IIS.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

That's true,
    So develop your custom workflow activity in a development scenario, test it and than deploy it on production server !

Check out this article as well!!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151144.aspx

Regards,
    Nishant Rana
    http://nishantrana.wordpress.com
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:06 AM
  • It's not so bad for my test workflow (which was developed in a test environment, then deployed to test implementation in the hosted environment). I am more worried about future workflows, which may be complex, and bug-fixing / minor modifications thereof.

Is there an alternative that is safe to use in an four 9's environment with upwards of 100 companies? Specifically one that doesn't require restarting IIS?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

when you update a workflow plugin with the Pluginregistrationtool then you only have to restart the MSCRM ASync-Service on the server, you don't need a IIS-Reset for this.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Sulz Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by BlackWasp Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Thanks for the help all.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:57 PM