Computer Forensics Question RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to determine the manufacture date of a Windows Vista Home Basic OS from the product ID number.

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:45 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

I'm note sure if I understand the question.

Software may have a 'Release to Manufacture Date', but that just the date the software was sent to companies like Dell, HP (and so on) so they can start installing it on new PCs.  Because software is contently being updated, a Manufacture Date is not normally used (unless you mean the date the software was inprinted on media, like dvd, but in that case the Manufacture Date is actually the date the disk was manufactured, not the software).  The software industry usually uses a Version, Build and/or Revision number to track past and future versions of a software.

To answer your question, no, the Product ID (or PID) does not have any relation to the Build Number (or any kind of Manufacture number) for that copy of Vista, that I'm aware of. 

You can find the Build and Revision number for a specific copy of Windows by downloading and running Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into Notepad.  Look for line that starts with "Build lab:" the information after should show Windows Build and Revision number.

Hope that helped,
    Darin MS

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:41 PM