How to add additional disk space to be used for client backups? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got WHS 2011 installed on a virtual machine on a server.  The WHS installation will only be used to backup Windows client machines - I've got another NAS for central storage.  I started out with a 512G virtual hard drive, backed up a couple of client machines, and now I need more disk space to backup more machines.  I added a second virtual hard drive to the machine and formatted it, but I'm still getting low disk space warnings.  I now see that the "Client Computer Backups" folder is located just on the D: drive.  Is there any way to have the client computer backups folder span hard drives or have multiple "Client Computer Backups" folders and assign each client computer to one of these?  I've gotta believe there is a solution to this.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:55 AM

Answers

• There is no way to split client backups (or any share) across multiple drives, no. The "solution" is to increase the size of the disk the backups are on by either increasing the size of the VHD or moving them to a larger drive. The former is not a Windows Home Server function; it's part of your virtualization tool. The latter can be done through the Dashboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:37 PM
  • OK, if I extend the size of the virtual drive that WHS2011 is installed on can I simply go into hard drive management on the WHS VM and extend the partition to use the extra space?

Sure, if you need to.  Unlike Server Backup which requires its own dedicated disk, Client backup works like any other share on Windows Home Server. You can place it on a volume of any size, and move it to a new volume at any time through the Dashboard. My own WHS system is currently virtualized and I have 4Tb physical disk attached to the VM for use with client backups and file history. 

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:00 AM

All replies

• There is no way to split client backups (or any share) across multiple drives, no. The "solution" is to increase the size of the disk the backups are on by either increasing the size of the VHD or moving them to a larger drive. The former is not a Windows Home Server function; it's part of your virtualization tool. The latter can be done through the Dashboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:37 PM
  • OK, if I extend the size of the virtual drive that WHS2011 is installed on can I simply go into hard drive management on the WHS VM and extend the partition to use the extra space?
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:23 PM

Sure, if you need to.  Unlike Server Backup which requires its own dedicated disk, Client backup works like any other share on Windows Home Server. You can place it on a volume of any size, and move it to a new volume at any time through the Dashboard. My own WHS system is currently virtualized and I have 4Tb physical disk attached to the VM for use with client backups and file history. 

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:00 AM
  • I had installed WHS 2011 itself in a 512G virtual drive, so if I had moved the client backups folder to a new virtual drive I would have had lots of unused space on the primary drive and the hassle of figuring out how to reduce the virtual drive and adjust the WHS partitions smaller.  So instead I just increased that one virtual drive to 1T for now (can extend it more later if needed) and then it was easy in WHS to use the disk manager to expand the partition to fill the space - all done.  Now on to the next problem - figuring out what the problem is when trying to back up a WIndows 8.1 system to WHS 2011.  The Win 8.1 system is getting errors like:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

Anyone solve this one already?

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:20 AM
  • hotfix
    • Edited by mobohobo Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:25 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 11:12 PM
  • I wasn't originally aware that a hotfix was required for Windows 8.1 support.  I applied it and got a little further and some machines are now fine, but one Thinkpad is still having volume errors because of the 350M system partition used for Win 8.1 recovery that is too full to create a shadow copy.  I still haven't figured out what would be required to resize that partition enough to fix the error without screwing up anything else in the process.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:48 PM