System Space portionally very large RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS for 1 year and the reported space taken up by the system on a 2TB drive is 859GB while the PC Backups space is listed @724GB.  I do not really use the shared folders option much and none of my folders are set to duplicate. 

My question is why is the system space so large?  

Is there anything I can do to recover some of this space for future backups?

Monday, August 9, 2010 2:35 PM

All replies

• That WHS-pie is reporting an incorrect size. It's a known thing (even by MS)
    The size is generally displayed as 20 GB (which is  the actual and correct
    size), but now and then it report an incorrect size. After eg a reboot of
    whs it's being reported correctly as 20 GB.
    Basicly it's just a UI thing, with no other harm/impact. So nothing to worry
    about.
    But don't count on a fix. And let's face it.. it's just a trivial UI issue :-)

"ADillo" wrote in message news:9d43fc91-9fcb-4c07-b8ac-1dc26cab9997@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have been using WHS for 1 year and the reported space taken up by the system on a 2TB drive is 859GB while the PC Backups space is listed @724GB. I do not really use the shared folders option much and none of my folders are set to duplicate.

My question is why is the system space so large?

Is there anything I can do to recover some of this space for future backups?

Have a nice day!
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:31 PM
  • My question is why is the system space so large?

(Assuming your are running PP3)
    The space reported as "system space" includes any storage used outside the storage pool. Under normal circumstances this would be the space taken by the OS partition, which is about 20GB. In your case something else is taking up disk storage space.

This could be storage used by the Volume Shadowcopy Service (previous versions is unsupported for WHS and VSS should be disabled). You may want to check out this thread: "System growing? The threads answer explains how to reclaim any storage in use by VSS.

Another possibility is that you have data stored outside the storage pool:
    * By installing additional programs from the server desktop.
    * By copy data to your server in any other ways then the server shares (e.g to \\{servername}\myshare)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:33 PM
  • I have not really installed much at the desktop, certainly not 825GB worth of stuff, and do not have any files copied directly to the server outside of the WHS Shares.

I tried the vssadmin delete shadows /all solution and no files were deleted, the VSS reg key mentioned was also already set to 0, maybe because I am using PP3?

I did notice that when I look at on the D: drive thery are the following folders:

D:\DE (This includes subfolders: folders and shares) - 725GB

D:\folders - 724 GB

D:\shares

These seem to be duplicate folders?  If so, how do I get rid of one of the sets?

-Alan

Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:02 PM
  • What you are seeing is partly your data and partly pointers (thombstones) to your data. In this case both the DE and folders are referencing your backup database (which is as expected in size).

Due to the way Drive Extender handles pool storage I strongly advise you not to add/delete/change any files or folders onther then through the network shares at \\{servername}\{foldername} (even when your are on the WHS desktop).
    Are there any other folders in the root of your D:\ drive (other then \DE, \Folders and \Shares) that report a lot of space taken?

As long as you are not running out of storage you could decide to leave the system as is.
    The other option you have would be a server restore which means loosing all your customisations and (more importantly) your client backups.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:17 AM