Is there a way to turn off P2P in LiveMesh? RRS feed

• Question

• My IT department has freaked out over "p2p traffic" from my machine, they've identified a MS server involved and it is pretty clear that it is LiveMesh. I have disabled Remote Desktop, but it seems far more likely that it is the p2p sync between my two machiens on the LAN that the cause. Is there a way to to make sure that is turned off?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• No. If your IT department doesn't allow P2P traffic on the LAN, then you'll need to remove Live Mesh from the machines as it will seek to sync via P2P if two or more machines in your mesh are on the same LAN segment.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:17 PM

All replies

• No. If your IT department doesn't allow P2P traffic on the LAN, then you'll need to remove Live Mesh from the machines as it will seek to sync via P2P if two or more machines in your mesh are on the same LAN segment.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:17 PM
  • What would happen if he blocked the outbound ports (on both machines) for moe.exe that are used for P2P sync?  That request would never leave his PC then correct (and thus would fail back on using mesh.com to perform the sync)?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:02 PM
  • That would probably work, Brian.
    -steve
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:21 PM