Newbie Question RRS feed

• Question

• Is WHS primarily for backup or can I install other software that is meant to be used with a server, like accounting software?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Using Windows Home Server as a platform for server applications such as accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks) is unsupported. A number of peopple have done so, but you may find that you're on your own as far as solving problems is concerned.

You'll find a lot of good information on the Windows Home Server microsite. In particular, the documents available through the Help page will explain a lot about the product.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dsosb Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:05 PM

All replies

• Using Windows Home Server as a platform for server applications such as accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks) is unsupported. A number of peopple have done so, but you may find that you're on your own as far as solving problems is concerned.

You'll find a lot of good information on the Windows Home Server microsite. In particular, the documents available through the Help page will explain a lot about the product.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dsosb Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Given the way how WHS works, it is possible that an application installed does not work. There are millions of application software out there, and WHS team can't possibly test every single one of them before releasing the product. So yes, you may run into problems. Personally, I have been installing and using other software on the server and haven't seen any issues.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:29 PM