locked
Openning Backup causing Blue Screen and Restart RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Hey,

     

    I have a problem, when i try to open a backup  from before, right at 79%  Client crash with blue screen and computer restarts, i tried connecting from different workstations and still same problems. any idea how i can fix it. and why cant you open backups from server ?

     

    please help,

    Mani

    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:32 AM

Answers

  • MrMani said:

     

    Hey,

     

    I have a problem, when i try to open a backup  from before, right at 79%  Client crash with blue screen and computer restarts, i tried connecting from different workstations and still same problems. any idea how i can fix it. and why cant you open backups from server ?

     

    please help,

    Mani



    As a note on this thread, if the bluescreen indicates: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT and points to 0xC1F5, i.e. CLFS.SYS, there is a hotfix for this. 

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us 

    This is only for a BSOD when opening a backup and it's only if the BSOD points to CLFS.SYS.

    Thank you

    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:23 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • I'm having the same problem. Mine freeze at 79%. I don't get a blue screen (running Vista), but eventually I just lose access to my PC and have to reboot.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:08 PM
  • This is(was) a known problem prior to PP1, I assume you don't have the updates installed?

    What is happening, is up to the 79% point, WHS is doing the preparation and usually relates to the opening/restore of large volumes, but  because of the memory requirements, the server isn't able to service the client's requests, which needs maybe just a little more memory. It's possible that you may be able to bypass this, if you could expand the pagefile size on your Windows Home Server. This is accessible through Remote Desktop to the server, My Computer's Properties, Advanced, Performance..., Advanced, then you could experiment with it.. Even if this works, you may find that you are able to open only some of your backups. The amount of memory needed is very hard to predict.

    Also, you could try just leaving the operation and see what happens. Occasionally, people have left it for some time and it has managed to complete.

     

    Colin

     

    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:50 PM
  • I am running PP1.
    In fact, I took the opportunity to complete rebuild my WHS onto new hardware, reinstall WHS and all the updates, including PP1 and restore my data.
    Trying the page file recommendation now.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

    This is(was) a known problem prior to PP1, I assume you don't have the updates installed?

    What is happening, is up to the 79% point, WHS is doing the preparation and usually relates to the opening/restore of large volumes, but  because of the memory requirements, the server isn't able to service the client's requests, which needs maybe just a little more memory. It's possible that you may be able to bypass this, if you could expand the pagefile size on your Windows Home Server. This is accessible through Remote Desktop to the server, My Computer's Properties, Advanced, Performance..., Advanced, then you could experiment with it.. Even if this works, you may find that you are able to open only some of your backups. The amount of memory needed is very hard to predict.

    Also, you could try just leaving the operation and see what happens. Occasionally, people have left it for some time and it has managed to complete.

     

    Colin

     

     

    Hey;

     

    Well i have PP1 installed on a home made server(Athlon 64 X2 Dual 2.2 2 gig ram). thought it ram might be the problem and played around with it, but unfortunately didn't help. any other idea ?

     

    Mani

    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Well,

    Not sure if it now applies what with PP1, but Marc Moon posted the following earlier in the year:

    1. Launch the Console from the home computer having the problem > go to Computers & Backup
    2. Select any home computer from the list that has backups > click View Backups
    3. On the home computer, click Start > Right-click My Computer > select Manage > click Device Manager > expand the System Devices tree
    4. From the Console, select a backup from the list and click Open > if there are multiple volumes select one and click Open
    5. The System Devices tree will refresh during this process > identify a listing for 'Home Server Restore Driver' or 'Home Server Restore Driver 2' > right-click the instance of the restore driver and select Uninstall > click OK on the Confirm Device Removal dialogue that will appear
    6. An 'Open Backup' dialogue will appear that states 'Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running.' > click OK
    7. NOTE: If you are prompted to restart your home computer, click Do Not Restart.
    8. In the home server Console, click the Open button again > the process will relaunch and reinstall the Home Server Restore Driver
    9. Opening backups should now be successful

    Might be worth a try.

     

    Colin

     

    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Thanks alot, ill give it a shot Wink

     

    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:50 PM
  • This is weird.  I'm suddenly having exactly the same problem.  Running full PP1, two clients, both blue screen at 79% when trying to open a backup.

     

    Can I suggest that other people try theirs to see if just us?

     

    And MrMani, please let us know if you find a solution.

     

     

    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Just got a new PC (Vista x64, 4GB, quad core) and tried to get some files from my old PC (Vista 32-bit, don't know if that matters) of my WHS with PP1 installed.

     

    Gets to 79% and I get the BSOD. Tried the procedure above, no dice. I don't think I am running out of memory on the Vista x64 PC...

    Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Increasing the page file on my WHS box fixed the problem. Hope that helps others.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  CrashX wrote:
    Increasing the page file on my WHS box fixed the problem. Hope that helps others.

     

    Hey;

    yeah Unfortunately didn't work for me Sad i wish at least there was a way we could open a Backup manually or from Server itself.

    Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:03 PM
  •  

    Well I kind of got access to my files, not the most efficient way but ... Connecting another computer(p3) with windows XP pro and latest connector, only that client can open the backups, rest of the computers(all Vista) 79% crash with blue screen. Sad

     

    Any MS people have any explanation ?

    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:28 PM
  • On the clients that get to 79%, have you tried running chkdsk /r to check the drives?

     

    Do you have, or ever had, any drive tools like Acronis or Paragon installed. Have any of the drives ever been FAT ungraded to NTFS, or had the cluster sizes changed?

     

    Colin

     

    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi, I filled a bug report with Microsoft to see if they know what could be causing this.  If you have anything to add, it's at:

     

    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=358930&wa=wsignin1.0

     

    Thanks...

     

    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:58 PM
  • ColinWH, for me I have never had any tools like Acronis or Paragon installed.  I don't even know what they are.  This was a full server reset from about a month ago.  Everything should be really clean.

     

    Anyone else had any luck?

     

     

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:28 AM
  •  Suspend wrote:

    Hi, I filled a bug report with Microsoft to see if they know what could be causing this.  If you have anything to add, it's at:

     

    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=358930&wa=wsignin1.0

     

    Thanks...

     

     

    The bug has been assigned to a developer but at this time, I don't have an update for you. I'm sorry. I've added my alias to the bug, so if you want to add any more information to it, I'll get a notification.

     

    Thank you

    Lara Jones

    Windows Home Server Team

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:08 AM
    Moderator
  • Hey;

     

    Yeah as it goes with me, I never had any of those softwares(or as matter of fact any hard drive...) software installed on any of my PCs, just a plain normal windows with like office and photoshop and itunes.

     

    What I found that help was accessing this with a XP machine. if i try openning the backup with a XP machine it works, any Vista machin(32bit, Ultimate and Home) crash at 79% with blue screen.

     

    Thanks

     

     

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:09 PM
  • I'm having the exact issue in this thread...  The progress bar made it to 79% and my computer blue screened and rebooted.  Its weird that I was able to successfully open the backup on another XP machine, its just the vista PC that bluescreened.
    powerHS
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:09 PM
  • MrMani said:

     

    Hey,

     

    I have a problem, when i try to open a backup  from before, right at 79%  Client crash with blue screen and computer restarts, i tried connecting from different workstations and still same problems. any idea how i can fix it. and why cant you open backups from server ?

     

    please help,

    Mani



    As a note on this thread, if the bluescreen indicates: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT and points to 0xC1F5, i.e. CLFS.SYS, there is a hotfix for this. 

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us 

    This is only for a BSOD when opening a backup and it's only if the BSOD points to CLFS.SYS.

    Thank you

    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:23 PM
    Moderator
  • Wow...I am just completely dumbfounded at how this software's MAIN functionality is broken for a significant amount of people (after searching around the net just now). I'm getting the same "Cannot mount the backup", but just at 6%. OBVIOUSLY MS knows about these problems and the generic answer of "Submit a ticket" DOES NOT cut it when talking about a product that's been out for years and should easily be stable by now. I bought WHS hoping that it would be a fix all for backing up my PCs, however, it looks like it is just another MS software package that must have compiled successfully and therefore a manager said "Ship it!".
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:58 PM