Does WHS prompt for Controller drivers during reinstall? RRS feed

• Question

• If my primary drive were to fail requiring a reinstall, will I be given the option to load the driver for my controller card?  I don't want to have it reinstall and ignore the data on the drives that are on the controller card.

My setup will have the primary on a 500 GB SATA - then I'm filling the farm with older IDE drives that will be driven by a Rosewill RC-200 controller card.  I've confirmed that this card will work for my setup, I'm just curious about the above scenario...

Thanks!

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:40 AM

Answers

• You have the chance to add additional storage drivers.
    Since before the installation you get a list of the recognized drives, you will know ahead, if you need to load such drivers on top.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by pdxjungle Friday, September 12, 2008 2:28 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:47 AM

All replies

• You have the chance to add additional storage drivers.
    Since before the installation you get a list of the recognized drives, you will know ahead, if you need to load such drivers on top.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by pdxjungle Friday, September 12, 2008 2:28 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:47 AM
  • Note that for best compatibility you should set the SATA controller your system drive is connected to so that it uses legacy IDE mode (different manufacturers have different names, but that's the idea: a SATA driver which is presented as an IDE drive). If you configure it to use SATA/AHCI/RAID mode, you will almost certainly have to supply drivers at two stages during the installation or reinstallation, and the second time will reuire the drivers to be on a floppy.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:59 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

Note that for best compatibility you should set the SATA controller your system drive is connected to so that it uses legacy IDE mode (different manufacturers have different names, but that's the idea: a SATA driver which is presented as an IDE drive). If you configure it to use SATA/AHCI/RAID mode, you will almost certainly have to supply drivers at two stages during the installation or reinstallation, and the second time will reuire the drivers to be on a floppy.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Okay.  My primary SATA drive is controlled by the motherboard - I believe I have the BIOS set to IDE mode - I'll double check.

My main concern was regarding the re-install process.  I did a test with the new installation to make sure the controller card would work, but I wanted to make sure that I would get the same install dialogue with a reinstall.

Thanks!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:02 PM