New copy of Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 (64-bit) needed RRS feed

• Question

• My operating system software has become corrupted on my laptop (HP Pavilion), which came with Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack2 (64-bit operating system) pre-loaded (i.e. I do not have the installation disks). I need a new copy so that I can re-install the operating system.

I have tried all the fixes (tools etc) listed to fix corruption problems, and restoring from the hard drive and these have not worked. Re-installing the software is my last resort. HP does not supply recovery media for Vista any more.

Can Microsoft please supply a copy.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:24 AM

Answers

• There are unfortunately no legal downloads of Vista or Windows 7 available for the public since MS took down the Digital River servers.

You say that you've tried restoring from the hard drive - do you mean a restore to factory settings?

If so, then it's likely that a Vista install disk wouldn't work either, since the factory install is supposed to be tuned to the machine.

You should ask for assistance in the Windows Community forums here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_install 

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:20 PM

All replies

• There are unfortunately no legal downloads of Vista or Windows 7 available for the public since MS took down the Digital River servers.

You say that you've tried restoring from the hard drive - do you mean a restore to factory settings?

If so, then it's likely that a Vista install disk wouldn't work either, since the factory install is supposed to be tuned to the machine.

You should ask for assistance in the Windows Community forums here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_install 

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:20 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. An attempt to restore to factory settings was tried by my tech guy.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 4:56 AM