DVD Burner Use RRS feed

• Question

• The server I bought with WHS came with a DVD Burner, Ideally i'd like to be able to burn data off when necessary, is there an add-in to do this, or will I need to TS/Remote Access the server and install burning software and burn a data disc as needed?
    Same for ISOs?
    Thanks in advance!

I read some posts about the EULA and desktop use, this would be for backup purposes of the server.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 7:20 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server isn't designed for desktop use, and such use is both unsupported and (yes) against the terms of the EULA. Ignoring the EULA for the moment, the main reasons it's unsupported are A) managing a server from the desktop is not easy for a non-technical individual, and B) WHS makes "novel" use of many standard Windows functions, such that some commonly used windows tools have a significant risk of causing serious problems if used incorrectly. However, it's unlikely that you will cause significant problems if you occasionally use a remote desktop session to burn files to a data disk.

Personally, though, if I want to burn files on my server to disk, I simply do so using the files on the server as the source. I find that my CD burner (or DVD burner) is the limiting factor, not my network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:39 AM