none
bad sectors in c:\fs\* RRS feed

• Question

• After replacing several faulty disks I finally got my WHS up and running again. Everything appeared fine but to be sure I checked all my disks as te procedure mentioned in the faq. results

C: and D: are clean but three C:\fs\* checks report .5 TB worth of bad sectors which results in 1.5TB syste reserved Space in the storage tab of the console. But no mention of this in the event log.

What's going on here?

• Edited by BartS. _ Saturday, June 5, 2010 11:09 AM typo
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Personally, I think it's a driver issue. If you connected the drive to a different SATA controller and had no problem, but connected it to your motherboard controller with no other changes and had a problem, it's going to be hardware (motherboard, connectors, cables, drive, etc.) or drivers. If you installed a different OS nad had no problem, it's not hardware, so it must be drivers.

So is it possible that the drivers for your motherbaord aren't "Windows Home Server compatible"? Obviously yes. Not that I've seen that, but I don't own one of everything. :) I think you might have the same problem with vanilla Windows Server 2003 R2, though... What can you do about it? Try a different motherboard, or don't connect that drive to your motherboard (connect it to the add-on SATA HBA).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:30 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Put the drives into AHCI mode and installed WHS with the pre-install drivers and like magic all problems disappeared. so it IS a driver problem.

And the swapping of the mobo was nescessary in my case because my old mobo had no win 2003 SATA AHCI drivers.

I'm a happy camper again!

• Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:29 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:29 AM

All replies

• You may still have multiple failing disks in your storage pool. The C:\FS\etc. "folders" are mount points for your secondary disks. Also, often if you have multiple disks fail at the same time, you don't have a disk issue at all. It could be a power supply problem, or issues with the hard disk HBA (probably on the motherboard) which are causing the data errors that you're seeing as failing disks.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Seeing I have replaced disks (different brands and models),swapped cables,tested memory and cpu. that leaves the motheboard. but I know no test or diagnostic to prove this is indeed the problem.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Swap motherboards.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:00 PM
  • I don't have a motherboard on hand and I suspect it will take a complete reinstall of WHS to get this to work.....
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:08 PM
  • If I DO want to swap out the motherboard. How do I migrate from the old WHS to the "new"one?

is it as simple as replacing the motherboard, plug in your disks, and re-install WHS via the reinstallation option?

downside: my backups are gone; guess this will take a lot of time with >4TB of data.

@ Ken: what do you mean with mountpoints for secondary disks?

@ Ken: Why is the D: drive chkdsk clean while the c:/f ones isn't? does this mean the physical disks are ok?

Sunday, June 6, 2010 3:04 PM
  • NTFS Volume Mount Points.

When you run chkdsk against D:, you're checking D:, which is part of your system disk. When you run it against C:\FS\etc., you're checking the volume mounted there, which is one of your secondary disks. 

As for motherboard replacement, in theory it's as simple as you describe. And it's not a given that your backups will be lost. See this FAQ for some additional information about reinstallation.

Sunday, June 6, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Thx for he answer Ken!

You explain the c:\fs are the mountpoints of my disks. interesting.  Let's assume I got 8 disks in my storage pool. Should there be 4 or 8  c:/fs/<xx>  mountpoints?or a different number completely? Has that something to do with the duplication? Are these disks mounted all the time?

For my replacing-the-disks adventure I had to turn off duplication for 1 folder. After I replaced the disks I turned on duplication and in a few hours the WHS duplicated all files. So far everything was right. Only then I used the script as seen in the appropiate faq to check the disks, just to be sure but then the bad sectors popped up.  I noticed the bad sector size is approximate to the size of the data which had to be duplicated. could there be a connection there?

• Edited by BartS. _ Monday, June 7, 2010 5:23 AM added question
    Monday, June 7, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Thx for he answer Ken!

You explain the c:\fs are the mountpoints of my disks. interesting.  Let's assume I got 8 disks in my storage pool. Should there be 4 or 8  c:/fs/<xx>  mountpoints? or a different number completely? 

There should be 1 mount point for each secondary drive in your storage pool (every drive is secondary except for the one that stores the OS).  So, in your example, 7.

Has that something to do with the duplication?

No.  It's how the drives are controlled/accessed by WHS (whether using duplication or not).

Are these disks mounted all the time?

Yes.

For my replacing-the-disks adventure I had to turn off duplication for 1 folder. After I replaced the disks I turned on duplication and in a few hours the WHS duplicated all files. So far everything was right. Only then I used the script as seen in the appropiate faq to check the disks, just to be sure but then the bad sectors popped up.  I noticed the bad sector size is approximate to the size of the data which had to be duplicated. could there be a connection there?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Is there a way to let WHS "reevaluat"e the mountpoints?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Is there a way to let WHS "reevaluat"e the mountpoints?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "reevaluate".  In any event, I find it extremely unlikely that you have 3 drives, each with 500 GB of bad sectors.  Any chance your controller card doesn't support the hard drive size your using (at least not without flashing the controller)?  i.e.  using a 2 TB drive when the controller only supports drives up to 1.5 TB.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:42 AM
  • reevaluate like the /b option the chkdsk in windows 7 has for instance. It essentially wipes the bad clusters map and rescans the drive. The heart of my whs is a Intel DH55TC motherboard with a Pentium G6950 (it's a core i3 without HT). Quite recent so I don't expect a problem there. offcially Intel does not provide windows 2003 server drivers. is that a clue?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Tested some more:

I removed a 2TB drive with 800GB of bad sectors from the storagepool. Used the WD harddisk tool and the disk passed all tests succesfully. Connected the disk to a sata port of my sweex sata card and added the disk to the storage pool. Ran the chkdsk command again and no bad sectors detected. After removing the disk,connecting it to the same sata port on the motherboard as before and adding the disk again to the sotragepool the chkdsk reported 800GB of bad sectors.removed this disk again.

to rule out the motherboard I installed win7 on another empty disk (all other WHS disks are disconnected ofcourse) and ran a chkdsk /x /r on this 2TB drive and no bad sectors were detected. I used the same sata port on the mobo for these tests.

conclusion: So this disk only reports bad sectors in Windows Home Server. So WHS has an incompatibility issue with my hardware?

as part of a final test i will install windows server 2003 instead of win 7 and try to replicate the problem.

Maybe this is the same problem as described in:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whshardware/thread/c36d7aa9-50d4-4af7-9ff9-dd465f31216d or

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whshardware/thread/2b617c8f-c32e-4cfe-a275-4764d77a7da9

• Edited by BartS. _ Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:33 AM added links
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Personally, I think it's a driver issue. If you connected the drive to a different SATA controller and had no problem, but connected it to your motherboard controller with no other changes and had a problem, it's going to be hardware (motherboard, connectors, cables, drive, etc.) or drivers. If you installed a different OS nad had no problem, it's not hardware, so it must be drivers.

So is it possible that the drivers for your motherbaord aren't "Windows Home Server compatible"? Obviously yes. Not that I've seen that, but I don't own one of everything. :) I think you might have the same problem with vanilla Windows Server 2003 R2, though... What can you do about it? Try a different motherboard, or don't connect that drive to your motherboard (connect it to the add-on SATA HBA).

• Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:30 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:37 PM
  • The only real solution is to get a new motherboard but there is no "garantuee" that any other motherboard will work. Windows Home server almost always never appears on the "officially supported lists" so in the end it's a bit of a educated guess if the mobo will work with 2TB drives. I did find however that Intel (the manufacturer of my motherboard) does not support windows server 2003, so that's probably the root cause.

Will test windows server 2003 and the AHCI ideas but regardless the outcome it's a new mobo for me. question remains....which? I'm going to try the gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 because according the documentation it's chipset drivers should support windows server 2003

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:35 PM
  • On 6/15/2010 10:35 AM, BartS. wrote:

The only real solution is to get a new motherboard but there is no "garantuee" that any other motherboard will work. Windows Home server almost always never appears on the "officially supported lists" so in the end it's a bit of a educated guess if the mobo will work with 2TB drives. I did find however that Intel (the manufacturer of my motherboard) does not support windows server 2003, so that's probably the root cause.

Will test windows server 2003 and the AHCI ideas but regardless the outcome it's a new mobo for me. question remains....which? I'm going to try the gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 because according the documentation it's chipset drivers should support windows server 2003

If you have any free slots inside of the server (expansion slots), I
    would try the add-on SATA controller card first.  If it works, then
    you've solved the problem until you can get a new motherboard (or just
    solved the problem without having to spend the extra time and money).
    If not, then when you buy a new motherboard, try it on that one too (the
    add-on card) and if it works there, you've just increased the total
    amount of internal connections available to you.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated your OS and Antivirus today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Swapped out the mobo today and the results are disappointing. The problem remains. A clean WHS install does give bad sectors after a chkdsk on  all my WD 2 TB drive on the c:\fs\* s. I've swapped out or ruled out everything so I HAVE to draw the conclusion WHS does not work with WD20EADS drives....... and that really really disappoints me. *sigh*

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Put the drives into AHCI mode and installed WHS with the pre-install drivers and like magic all problems disappeared. so it IS a driver problem.

And the swapping of the mobo was nescessary in my case because my old mobo had no win 2003 SATA AHCI drivers.

I'm a happy camper again!

• Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:29 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:29 AM