none
Search sometimes finds link to forum instead of to thread RRS feed

• Question

• I was just searching for an old post of mine requesting the unread count in the title, so i did a search which resulted in one result. The link, however, was to the forum, not to the thread.

It's not that was on other searches i tried. I must be missing something obvious.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• I don't it's the thread itself. I just talked to other folks about this (includng Brent) and he has filed a bug against this. I think there's an indexing issue through bing.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by Brian Tkatch Monday, July 27, 2009 8:20 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• Nope. It's not you. Forums Search uses Live/Bing to return result sets. Forums data is indexed through live/bing and other search engines. The thread that you anticipate is probably not indexed yet. (Depending on the created date).

In fact, here's the direct query if you go directly to bing.com:

(tkatch tab unread) (language:en) (site:forums.microsoft.com/msdn OR site:forums.asp.net OR site:forums.iis.net OR site:forums.msdn.microsoft.com OR site:social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums)

Thanks

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:08 PM
  • How long is it until it is indexed? I posted that over a month ago.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Usually days (3-5). But if it's been a month then there could be issues probably the crawler pages or indexing through Bing.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I'm wondering if it has more to do with posts that have no replies.

Just a hunch. But hard to test.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:43 PM
  • I don't it's the thread itself. I just talked to other folks about this (includng Brent) and he has filed a bug against this. I think there's an indexing issue through bing.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by Brian Tkatch Monday, July 27, 2009 8:20 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Thanx for the update, Don.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:20 PM