Problem while data mapping and data import ! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

To migrate some datas to my MS CRM 4.0 using the data import wizard,

I've the datas to migrate in a CSV file.In that there is a column "Post code" which is integer always.

But this column should be a lookup in my CRM system.So I created the Post code entity as seperate and migrated the datas associated with that . Then put relationship to my actual-main entity.

Now the Post code field is appeared as a lookup in the main entity page.

Then I mapped the Post code column in the CSV file to this lookup field.But the data import is failing.

Help me plzz...Urgent.

Friday, August 1, 2008 9:04 AM

Answers

• It sounds like one of the accounts you are trying to link the contacts has a name match to another account in the system and CRM does not know which one to join to.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi

I may be wrong here but if the value of Post Code is always an Integer value but in your CRM the value is a lookup then it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges.  What I mean by that is that if your import has the Post Code value as an integer and the entity has Post Code as a lookup then surely in the entity the Post Code value is a GUID which references a value in the Post Code entity.  If the Post Code field in your entity was a picklist instead then that should work or maybe I am missing something here?

Sorry, I'm not a developer but hope that helps.

Regards,

Douglas

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:51 AM
  • Hi Douglas,

Sorry,I think you didnt get the point.Actually i've 2 csv files,

1.Post codes

2.ETContacts

Where ETContacts has N:1 relationship to Postcodes's ZIP code field.ie,There should be provision to select ZIP code in the ETContacts entity and it should be a Post codes-lookup showing the ZIP code list.

So initially i created the post codes entity which contains postcodeid(GUID) ,ZIP code etc and imported its datas.

Then i tried to import the ETContacts datas in the ETContacts entity.But error occured while importing.Invalid format!.I've mapped the ZIP COde field in the ETContacts csv file to the ZIP Code lookup in the ETContacts  entity.

Now i think you get a more clear picture.

Friday, August 1, 2008 11:24 AM
  • I think I get you now.  In that case I wouldn't use CRM's built in data import wizard as I've found you can only seem to import data and not relate it to other types of entities.  Instead use the Migration Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager (DMM) which is much more powerful.  You can either download from Microsoft (I think) or install from your CRM 4.0 CD.  The DMM allows you to import multiple files at the same time and also relate data from one file to that in another.  It's been a couple of months since I used the DMM but I think all you need to ensure is that you have a field in both files that allows you to match up the data.  It's wizard driven so that should help you figure out how to use it.  Am pretty sure there is a help file along with it anyway.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that but I definitely think that the Data Migration Manager is the way to go on this.

Hope that helps,

Douglas

Friday, August 1, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Hi Douglas,

Thank you.I'll try with the DMM.OK

Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:31 AM
  • You can import data using the data import wizard relating to other entities but there is a trick to it. Basically there appears to be some kind of bug in the way it handles related data if you use the data maps. To get around this you need to invoke the automatic mapping. The trick therefore is to make sure the headers in the csv EXACTLY match the lbales on the CRM forms for that entity. You'll know if it works because when you select the entity as part of the data import wizard, the mapping field will autopopulate with 'Automatic'. If you are using Automatic mapping you can import related information.

Leon Tribe
    Monday, August 4, 2008 12:32 AM
  • I've tried to import datas using the DMM.BUt after clicking the "Migrate Datas" button,I mean the last step,I'm getting errors in all the datas .The error is,

"Duplicate lookup reference found"

I've selected 2 csv files.One for Post Codes and other for ETContacts.

Help me plz

Monday, August 4, 2008 11:31 AM
  • It sounds like one of the accounts you are trying to link the contacts has a name match to another account in the system and CRM does not know which one to join to.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:01 PM