Multi Site Office RRS feed

• Question

• Our office has 3 locations, 2 are connected via 45mbit, and the 3rd via 2mbit.

we routinely conference call with 20 people, and when 10 people are at the site connected via 2mbit, and everybody uses webcams it obliterates everything.

My question is if there is a way to use the A/V Conferencing servers and install one at that location to limit bandwidth.  Rather than the server having to send 10-20 streams across the networ, the servers talk and send 1 or 2 streams instead.

Is this possible, and what would i need to do it?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

• You can use the MaxAudioVideoBitRate GPO/Reg key to limit the bandwidth used by Communicator for A/V.  The bit rate you specify would be the maximum total for audio and video together - you cannot specify them separately.  For more info see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775312.aspx.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:34 PM
  •  Mike Stacy wrote:

You can use the MaxAudioVideoBitRate GPO/Reg key to limit the bandwidth used by Communicator for A/V.  The bit rate you specify would be the maximum total for audio and video together - you cannot specify them separately.  For more info see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775312.aspx.

i've already played with that setting.  but short of setting it to 20kbps, i need another solution. 
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:11 PM
  • You may be out of luck.  OCS doesn't support any sort of downstream distribution, so your A/V conferencing server will be sending at least N audio streams and N video streams during a conference, where N is the number of conference participants.  Even if you had no other traffic on your 2mb line you could only accommodate 5.8 concurrent A/V streams to that location at full fidelity.  The RTAudio and RTVideo codecs will scale down, but based on what you're experiencing there is likely still too much data on the wire for a good experience.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:47 PM