none
Windows XP Professional - Activation/Safe mode problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I have had IBM Thinkpad T30 2366-61U that came with Windows XP pro. I have never once reformatted it and I always keep it updated and so on and so forth. I was on Microsoft update yesterday for my weekly check. Windows said it had a new video driver. I proceeded to download and install it. It told me I needed to reboot. I did. Windows goes through boot but when it goes to login screen I get an error that is the DLL responsible for ATI drivers. WHICH I JUST UPDATED. So I figure I will go into safemode and install my old driver. Here is where my problem starts;

Safe mode can not log any account on because it says it needs to be "activated". when its the SAME copy that has been on there for 7-8 years. Is there some command for a standard vga driver to be loaded during boot or something? I am completely at a loss with this. PS. no system restore, no reformat.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello nicklemarr,

Did you try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Boot Options menu?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Yes to no avail. Any other help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:09 AM
  • I have fixed it. Injecting dll from previous driver using *nix straight into windows by forcing it to mount ntfs-3g. Thanks all.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:12 AM