Definition of simultaneous ringing / forking RRS feed

• Question

• After some installs and things not working as expected I would like to raise this through this forum.

Usage of simultaneous ringing within OC client:

We have a Mitel PBX connected to mediation server (SIP trunk) so an OCS softphone can be called from Mitel to OCS and vice versa. If the calls rings at the OC client you can have a simultaneous ring destination setup so this will ring in a twinned fashion when a call is deliverd. Question is: if the call is answered on the simul ringing destination it does not change call status on oc client. Wright? I assume so as technically there is not a real reason that it could.

What is the formal setup to have a call twinned (ie forked or whatever name you give it) from the oc client, and when answered on the destination (for example mobile phone) the oc client status goes into "in a call". Is this how things should or could work or am I assuming things that can't work?

Any info appreciated and if not clear let me know so I can add some specific comments.

Thanks

Monday, March 31, 2008 6:01 PM

All replies

• Simultaneous ringing is not the same as dual forking.

Simultaneous ringing does only work for different numbers

Dual forking is integration with OCS and PBX and they also manage presence

So far the only supported PBX is the Nortel CS1000

You should check this page regularly

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx

You must contact your PBX vendor for the compatibility roadmap

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Thanks for your comment.

Understand the supported PBX's etc, my questions is more from a functional point of view.

So assume dual forking is officially supported, does it handle the following situations:

1) Call into OC softphone --> fork to IP phone --> answer call on IP phone --> Will the OC change into "in a call"  Yes/No?

2) Call into OC softphone --> fork to Mobile phone (or other external number) --> answer call on mobile --> Will the OC change into "in a call"  Yes/No?

Just to understand the presence functionality related to forking.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:01 PM
  • 1) Yes that is a requirement for a supported PBX

2) You cannot really fork to a mobile phone because forking requires same numbers.  OC Softphone can fork to IP Phone because they have same number. Mobile phones can be used for simultaneous ringing.  Unfortunately the OC client on the mobile phone does not change status to "in a call" when using the phone on the mobile device.  (this however will change in the future)

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Is Dual forking different from Simultaneous ringing?

I tested our PBX with OCS following options.

Voice Properties > Policy > Allow simultaneous ringing of phones Check

In this case, Does OCS work as Dual forking or Simulteneous ringing?

If it works as simulteneous ringing, how can I set up OCS to work as Dual forking?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:09 AM
  • You are referring to a policy that simply allows users to configure the simultaneous ringing or not.

This could cost you a lot if all users would start to configure simultaneous ringing and add their mobile phone to this option and allways answer their calls on the mobile phone!

Dual forking is configured between OCS and PBX (unlike simultaneous ringing what a user can configure)

Your PBX must support the OCS integration, you can check the official supported list here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I misunderstood  about Dual forking.

How can I get a document for Dual forking?

I hope your kind reply.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:03 AM
  • The configuration is very vendor specific, you should contact your PBX vendor

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Thank you for your advice.

It was very helpful.

I noticed the difference of simultaneous ringing and dual forking by testing with our IP-PBX system.

But, if I use only dual forking, the presence information is not supported.

When I use the Dual forking and RCC functions, presence information was updated.

Exactly, RCC function supports the presence information.

Is it right?

I hope your  kind reply.

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Yes I believe that it is correct

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:23 PM