none
E-mail address for contacting a forum user? RRS feed

• Question

• Will the forum users be required to align their Forums identity with a Windows Live ID?   From time to time we need to contact people on the forums via e-mail, and we have had to ask them to e-mail the team and an inbound e-mail alias that we have.

We need to contact people to get their email address for MVP nomination process and also to warn people that they will be banned from the forums if they don't follow the Forum Usage Guidelines - as we like to give people a warning prior to disabling their account.

Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:36 PM

All replies

• I think the way we would consider addressing this is to enable private messages. The ability to send a message within forums to just one other forums user. This is a common feature in many forum apps, and one we'll consider in the future. Would this meet your needs?
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:28 PM
  • need someway to contact people privately. 

There are people in our forums that we want to nominate as MVPs and getting their contact information is a 'public process' that has some issues.  Additionally, if someone is misbehaving, we usually like to give them a private warning rather than a public slap in the face
    Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Does the private messaging capability that Andrew mentioned not meet these needs? Essentially, it's like email within the Forums app...
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:36 PM
  •  Sounds like it would work - any timeframe for this?
    Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Recently an MSFT moderator contacted me by posting a personal message attached to my post with his email address embedded. I contacted him and we had a fruitful exchange of three emails. He did not have to do that in fact, since my email address is in my MSDN account and I am sure he has acces to that information. For display purposes I placed a bogus email.

However, had he used my legitimate email address that would have done little to alert me. This email address is used for getting alerts from MS from various subscriptions I unwisely requested before. All my attempts to terminate them failed in the past. I went so far as to contact Windows Live Center in England and they promised to take care of the problem. I got a copy of my email forwarded to yet another center. The thing just drowned to no avail.

The bottom line of this is: that account of mine gets 500 messages a week. I have no interest to read them. I briefly glance at the headlines and delete them wholesale.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Digging up an old thread :)... is there any timeline on getting private messaging enabled as a feature of forums?
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response)
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  As I understand it, private messaging would require that the user be Online, or frequently visit the Forums in order to receive the message and establish contact.

Some folks, for various reasons, may not visit the Forums during the time that we wish to reach out and contact them.

I would prefer to have some mechanism that email could be sent to their profile registered address -and it 'should' be possible to do so while maintaining privacy and not disclosing the email address.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:49 AM
  • We're definitely still discussing the various solutions to several different problems here.  One is the need for the "system" or moderators to be able to address moderation issues privately with users for strictly service level type conversations "Hey stop being a jerk", or "You marked a post as abusive and we want to follow up and make sure that you're okay with the solution".

I consider those different from the case of needing or wanting to have a follow up conversation privately with a user in general.  Whether it's for product feedback, or just deeper understanding of the problem at hand, those are different cases.

Just so everyone knows, to my knowledge, we as Microsoft employees, are not allowed to extract your e-mail address from your Live ID to contact you without your explicit agreement that you are signing up for such a service.  In general we try to use the "please contact me" method and ask you to contact us rather than asking for your contactable information publicly.  If someone from Microsoft DOES ask you to post an e-mail address to be contacted by them, I think it's perfectly fair to a) not do so if it's not something you want available publicly available, and b) e-mail me at jeremy.kelley@microsoft.com and let me know that someone is approaching you this way and I will address the issue.

-Jeremy
    Jeremy Kelley
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:51 PM
  •  Clearly my interest in being able to contact a Forum user is for administrative/Moderator purposes. I prefer not to have to leave a response in a thread to 'contact me'. It may be interpreted by some as equilivent to a public admonishment...

It seems like a product team needing to contact a User may have have similar needs, and a similar desire to not publicize the request for contact.

I DO NOT support off-line (private) conversations between users -as can occur with the NNTP newsgroups.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:59 PM
  • The way that private messaging typically works on forums is that you can choose to be alerted via email that you have a new PM. We worked up a prototype of this a while back, and I believe it's being looked at and planned out.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:03 PM
  • I also wanted to add my support for PMs or emails.  Sometimes I want to have an OT conversation; with the way forums work today, I have to add that noise to a thread in order to be heard.  Another example pertains to a sticky of mine in the VB General forum about links for junior programmers.  Someone replied with a question, when it should have been asked separately.  I would have liked to been able to PM that user, asking them to delete that response and start a new question.

Just my two cents.

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Code Slabs
    Friday, December 19, 2008 3:15 PM