Can it don't ask for format all drivers during frist install ? RRS feed

• Question

• ~ it's very annoying ! 200GB x 8 ! ~~ or i had to open the cases again and again to unplug and replug the cable ~ would it be nice that like vista setup for just to format the drives that i needed to format ??!!
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:16 AM

All replies

• I don't think this will be supported. WHS is designed for 24h uptime, so any harddrive not used for whs will be useless in such a system.

But it would be nice, if existing harddrives or partiions with data on it could be integrated in whs without formating the disk. So i can use my existing backup drives, without to copy them to another hard drive first.

Greetings from Switzerland

Meriana

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:32 PM
  • WHS will format all available drives during initial setup. This is a one time deal, so really it's not that much of a biggie, and WHS' original design was to be a pre-setup hardware/software system. So, waiting for 8 x 200 GB of HD to format during initial install wouldn't of been a problem.

However, the best way for you to have done this would be to only have 1 of the Hard Drives connected during initial setup. Then, once it was setup, add additional drives as needed.

Basically, you could of simply unplugged ALL the drives except for one, and did this one time, ran the setup, and then plugged all the drives in once WHS was setup, and then added them one at a time using the WHS console, and their storage capacity would of been added to the total storage. Also, I believe it formats on the fly, so you could of just gone down the list and added the Hard Drives, and then it would of formatted while you were performing other tasks.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:23 PM
  •  ZacConnect wrote:
    WHS will format all available drives during initial setup. This is a one time deal, so really it's not that much of a biggie, and WHS' original design was to be a pre-setup hardware/software system. So, waiting for 8 x 200 GB of HD to format during initial install wouldn't of been a problem.

to say that it's no biggie to put a new customer at risk to loose all his current data due to not fully understanding what he is confirming makes it not a good thing. We need ways which work around the imperfection of the average user, who may have to perform the WHS installation instead of expecting the user to find workarounds to keep his data intact. The customer needs should it be what counts, not the ideas or convenience of some tech gurus or programmers.

To bring both together in  good mood is a target of those suggestions here. So the workarounds like "unplug disk" and so on may help us "techies", but not the user who thinks it would be a good idea to have this software on his current backup system at home and expects an easy implementation + keeping his current data secure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:14 AM
  • But it warns you no less then 3 times that it will completely wipe all the drives, I think saying it a different way each and every time, making it absolutely clear, at least I though, that all the drives that are connected will be reformatted which will result in complete data loss.

The "no biggie" comment was more towards the time spent to actually format it all, not that the data will be lost.

The non-techie folks will also be more likely to buy the already setup package deal that includes the Hardware/Software pre-installed. They plug it in and it's ready. No need for them to set it up.

Will there still be people who just blindly click on Ok? Yes, I'd imagine there would be.. but I think Microsoft did a pretty fair job of warning the customer about the data loss on initial setup.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 6:58 PM
  • I personally found this pretty annoying too. I understand it being designed for use on a set-hardware base for use as a 24 hour uptime server; but it would be nice to not have to unplug drives just to avoid them being formatted - a simple option to choose which ones get wiped out would be nice. I actually made the mistake of thinking the install was basically done, when it was installing the downloaded updates - and turned my external hd back on.. only to watch the next step be 'creating volumes' and all my data was gone. That was my mistake though... .luckily programs like GetDataBack exist to cover me there, I got everything back, it was just a pain.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 7:19 PM
  • I have to agree, its nice for someone buying the system but i think a lot of home users will be putting old systems to use as backup servers and the option to format only the first drive at install will give them more time to transfer data between systems.

I recently purchased a new system andfound WET to be very limimted and needed several days to manually transfer data between systems.

Pierre

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:08 AM
  • Pierre,

I'm going to have to disagree because most home users won't even be able to buy the software by itself (honestly, how many regular home users know about the System Builder channel?).  Most casual users will walk into their local Best Buy/Circuit City/Fry's/etc and will want to buy the software, but they won't be able to.  They will have no choice (at least as far as they know) but to buy the pre-assembled server.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:35 AM
  • The option of formatting some drives and not others while is technically possible, it is not a good solution. There are a number of reasons for this:
    -Any home user smart enough to build a system with eight drives is smart enough to understand that all their drives will be formatted when it says so three times.
    -In software it is very difficult to tell which drive is drive number 4 of 8 when you have eight drives of the same make and model. Oops, I formated the wrong one.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:37 AM