Active Directory Schema Reference for OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have gone through the Active Directory Schema Reference for OCS 2007:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb663726.aspx

The reference is only half-complete, however.  Knowing what classes to use is great, but the document is lacking the important piece of information: where do you get this information from, within active directory?

There should be a section (or entire doc) on where this information can be found within active directory.  Does anyone know if such a document exists?

I've tried searching through active directory to find different properties, but haven't had any luck.  Let's take the archiving classes for example: I can't find any of them within active directory.  I'd like to programatically find the archiving/cdr server, as well as the name of the database that it's storing the information to.  And before you suggest it, no, WMI isn't an option (due to cross domain hops).

Has anyone had any luck with finding the AD classes/attribs?

Cheers 

J
    Monday, March 17, 2008 5:49 PM

Answers

• Two more tips.

In all OCS installations you can find file schema.ldf under I386.

This is the image of schema and default data, imported in AD during install.

Not only used DN's, but schema - all possibly used types of AD entities.

If you compare the schema.ldf among editions you will get the sort of tracker - you right, documenting of OCS is slower then development.

Also you may check *.MOF files inside install msi(s)' cabs. These are images of wmi repository - wmi is a great main method of configuring OCS - so you can do most things through it.

Even lookup the performance...

All files are textual, so this activity is not back-analysis and seems to be legal!

MOF greatly helped me when I needed to urgently install OCS Mediation on Server 2008.

Standart installer declines to do it, manually it is possible, but the technic is a little bit weird with one bug.

But at least Office Communications Server Mediation Server role can be run om Windows 2008 platform.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:51 AM

All replies

• You must use ADSIEDIT.MSC from the suport tools to look at the Domain Context (Default) in AD

CN=RTC Service,CN=System,DC=Domain,DC=Com

(Or the Configuration Context if choosen at install time)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Sorry, maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm developing an application.

I have used ADSIEdit and a few other tools to try and scour active directory for these classes/attributes.

For the most part, yes, they are located within the domain context, under the path that you gave.  However, quite a few of them aren't found under this tree node (maybe I'm overlooking something?). 

I'm particularly interested in the archiving service: the name of the server, instance name if any, and database name.  I will be using more/different AD classes and attributes later on, but I figured I would use these as a starting discussion point.

The active directory schema reference doesn't say where the attributes are located.  Is there no definitive guide for the schema layout/location/tree structure?

For now, I'm interested in these classes:

msRTCSIP-Archive (new)
    This new auxiliary class to msRTCSIP-GlobalContainer holds all settings related to archiving.

msRTCSIP-ArchivingServer
    This class represents a single instant messaging archiving server. An instance of this class is created when a computer is activated as an instant messaging archiving server, such as a computer with the Instant Messaging Archiving Service installed.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I appreciate the help.

J

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  

Sorry, my mistake.

I can't help you with that but I do believe that you can filter on attributes with ldp.exe (pretty complex tool)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Two more tips.

In all OCS installations you can find file schema.ldf under I386.

This is the image of schema and default data, imported in AD during install.

Not only used DN's, but schema - all possibly used types of AD entities.

If you compare the schema.ldf among editions you will get the sort of tracker - you right, documenting of OCS is slower then development.

Also you may check *.MOF files inside install msi(s)' cabs. These are images of wmi repository - wmi is a great main method of configuring OCS - so you can do most things through it.

Even lookup the performance...

All files are textual, so this activity is not back-analysis and seems to be legal!

MOF greatly helped me when I needed to urgently install OCS Mediation on Server 2008.

Standart installer declines to do it, manually it is possible, but the technic is a little bit weird with one bug.

But at least Office Communications Server Mediation Server role can be run om Windows 2008 platform.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:51 AM
  •  

This is fantastic information, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much!!

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:31 PM
  • You are welcome!

One more Tip:

As OCS is written on .Net so you can read Reflection for extreem digging -

sometimes OCS behavior can be unexpected a little...

I don't know if it is legal, but for good aim...

My favorite tool is Reflector.

Good luck!

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:22 PM
  •  

Гуру. что тут скажешь.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 4:30 PM