Polycom Soundpoint IP 650 With OCS 2007? RRS feed

All replies

• Certainly not!

Microsoft OCS uses a proprietary audio codec named RT-Audio.

This you can see on the polycom website (no support for RT-Audio)

Polycom HD Voice technology, including support of G.722 wideband codec, Acoustic Clarity Technology 2, and systems design optimized for HD Voice

This might change in the future?

These are the devices that are supported with OCS now

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/uc/gallery.mspx

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.

So, is it really the case that the only options today for phones that allow people to make calls without a PC are the $400+ Polycom and Nortel IP phones?  Seems like there's a big gap between the $100 USB phones and those...

jon

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:19 PM
  • If you are referring to any of these models then yes

The LG-Nortel IP Phone 8540

The Polycom CX700 IP Phone

These are the only options available without a PC

I am pretty sure that prices will drop once demand takes off, that's why MS decided to have manufacturers that make these devices and they compete at price level

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Can someone outline what features these RT-Audio phones have over a mediation server + IP-PBX? With the CX700 and 8540 obviously you have a built-in communicator, which I think for most users is overkill. But besides this OCS feature, what is missing via a SIP IP-PBX?

Deli Pro-Exchange wrote:

If you are referring to any of these models then yes

The LG-Nortel IP Phone 8540

The Polycom CX700 IP Phone

These are the only options available without a PC

I am pretty sure that prices will drop once demand takes off, that's why MS decided to have manufacturers that make these devices and they compete at price level

Friday, March 28, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Presence is the main pillar for OCS and this needs the built-in communicator.

If you don't want the communicator I think you need to look at IP TEL only from other vendors.

With RT-Audio phones you can call any number as you can do with other phones and have all features OCS supports

You don't have any features that are IP-PBX Phone system specific unless you have an integrated OCS deployment between OCS and Nortel IP-Tel (only nortel is supported fully at this time)

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Thanks. Well, Communicator on the desktop should be enough for presence for us. I'm just curious if there's any features missing in terms of telephony going with non RT-Audio phones.

Deli Pro-Exchange wrote:

Presence is the main pillar for OCS and this needs the built-in communicator.

If you don't want the communicator I think you need to look at IP TEL only from other vendors.

With RT-Audio phones you can call any number as you can do with other phones and have all features OCS supports

You don't have any features that are IP-PBX Phone system specific unless you have an integrated OCS deployment between OCS and Nortel IP-Tel (only nortel is supported fully at this time)

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Well you simply can't use none RT-Audio phones

You might look into integrating your current phone system with OCS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:39 AM