Cannot connect to CRM local web server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

I have a network architecture wich is based on a :

- Server 1 DC running WS 2008 R2
    -Server 2 HYPERV HOST, which is hosting a CRM server VM part of domain

All was working fine until the time my DC Server blows out and I had to re install it completly.
    Since that time, even if my VM CRM can attached to DC server, I am not able anymore to access my web server with http://myCRMServer:5555 even with a domain admin account. It reports error like bad user name or password.

How can I recover from this situation without installing the CRM server ?

I guess I loose all CRM groups or stuff like this in the DC controller due to re installation

Thnaks for you help, I am really in a messy situation and have it to run again asap

reagrds

• Edited by wakefun Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:34 PM

Answers

• You may try accessing it using IP instead of servername like: http://[IPv4]:5555/MYCRM

Accessing by server name will need DNS configuration. Its not a CRM thing but related to web site name resolution. If you already have a DNS server, you need to make an entry in it which will map the CRM server name to its IP address. If not, you need to install the Domain Controller and then do that setting. If you don't know anything about it, it will better to take help from someone who is a networking expert.

The slow loading of page should be a first time thing only or could be related to above issue where your server is taking time to identify the server.

- Arvind (My posts represent my own views and not of Accenture's)

• Marked as answer by wakefun Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:00 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 6:45 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately you are in that dreaded situation where you already know that there is no other solution. You need to reinstall CRM and restore the CRM organization(s) and map old users to new users of your AD.

Theoretically it should be possible to find and update old user(s)'s AD-GUID in CRM table(s) with the new AD User's GUID, but will surely take a lot more time than the reinstall and could run into more issues in future even if it works initially.

below thread advices to have multiple DCs to avoid such failures:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/03fd6365-dea9-4baf-8062-898034c6fd35/domain-controller-died-and-now-cannot-get-crm-back-online

- Arvind

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Thanksfor your reply.

From my CRM server databse Ihave the CRm_config data base backup

To re install it, I do it normally and then restore my CRM config db ?

Do you have a full working step by step guide line ?

regards

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:36 AM
  • That config database will be automatically created during new installation

1. If reinstalling CRM on same server(db server is also same):
    - clean old CRM content and delete MSCRM_CONFIG database (don't touch [organizationname]_MSCRM databases)
    - Install CRM on same server again
    - import all organizations using the deployment manager(Right-click on organization tab and select import)

2. If intalling CRM on new/fresh server(different db server):
    - Take the org backups [organizationname]_MSCRM of all organizations you intend to restore.
    - Install CRM on new server
    - Restore all backup or organizations to the database.
    - import all organizations using the deployment manager(Right-click on organization tab and select import)

- Arvind

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:36 AM
  • can you confirm that  all all my CRM data, like leads, contact,...are store in the MSCRM_CONFIG that Ihave backup ?

I have restore my database backup of MSCRM_MSCONFIG under a new database named MSCRM_CONFIG_RESTOREbecause it was not allowing to restore on top of existing one created during installation.

Now problem I have is that when using Import from deployement, he cannot find any Organisation.

Any idea ?

IMPORTANT : MSCRM_BACKUP I have made evry night is base on full and differential stuf and was done after installing the CRM rollup 12.

DO I have to install last roll up before restoring?

regards

• Edited by wakefun Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:37 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:20 PM
  • hold on .... lets see the CRM db structure first.

CRM creates separate database for each organization with name as [organizationname]_MSCRM. This organization database contains all data and metadata and everything else about that organization. You can carry this database and restore it some other CRM installation to get all entities, customizations, user data, workflows, etc. in the new environment. You should have atleast one such database as CRM automatically creates one organization during first installation.

CRM has an additional database: MSCRM_CONFIG. As the name suggests, it store all other information like how many organizations are there, AD structure, CRM application info, number of db/application servers, etc. required to run CRM. This database is just one per CRM install. You don't touch this database as it is automatically created during CRM installation and doesn't contain any organization specific data.

So the response to your query is NO, 'MSCRM_CONFIG' does NOT contain any of your CRM data. You should leave that one as it is and look for your organization specific database which should be listed with name as [organizationName]_MSCRM. If your organization name is 'CRM' or 'MSCRM', the database should be availabe as 'CRM_MSCRM' or 'MSCRM_MSCRM'. Use this one to restore and import.

- Arvind

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Ok here is what I have done :

1- I have restore my CRM_MSCRM data database to SQL server and I delete the MSCRM_CONFIG. So now I have only my CRM data database.

2- I re install CRM and select a new deployement like NEWCRM in order to not overwrite my CRM data.

3 - So now in database I have table NEWCRM_MSCRM, MSCRM_CONFIG and CRM_MSCRM( my actuall data)

4 - When I run CRM deployement tool I can see my original deployement named CRM

What should I do now to point CRM to my correct data ?

Thnaks for help

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:49 AM
  • I assume that you have already imported the CRM organization as it is visible in the deployment manager(see steps: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh127042.aspx)

Can you check if your original deployment(CRM) is showing as active/Enabled and then try to access it as http:\\[server]\CRM

- Arvind

Friday, November 8, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Now if I open the Demployement manager, I can see only the NEWCRM and I can connect to it using the http://servernmame:5555\NEWCRM but this is the empty new created data base.

So now in order to point to my correct database I do the following :

- select import organisation
    - Then the CRM_MSCRM containing my data gets detected
    - I give a new name for the deployement

Then there is an issue with import operation because in the CRM_MSCRM database I am importing there are users which are not existing anymore in the new AD so I cannot go further .

How can I skip the mapping of non existing users ?

We are close to suceed

regards

• Edited by wakefun Friday, November 8, 2013 9:41 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 9:35 AM
  • In normal scenarios we do create all users so mapping is not an issue at all. But if you don't want to do it and are ready to loose all ownership info(who owned what records, etc.), you may map all users to the admin account(all records will get assigned to him) or only map the old admin account to current admin and proceed. This way all other records will get assigned to SYSTEM(i think).

You'll have to find who was the admin previously and map it to current admin(your) account. Then only it'll allow you to proceed.

• Marked as answer by wakefun Friday, November 8, 2013 2:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by wakefun Friday, November 8, 2013 5:40 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 12:35 PM
  • hello,

I have some progress. now I can access my CRM web site from the server where crm is installed as follow :

http://crm-srvr:5555/MYCRM

First remark : It take a huge time to open the main page is it normal in a wy ?

Next, I try to access the same url from client machine, but I am not able to get the page and get a generic error from explorer which cannot display the page.

Anything to be done on sever side to allow client connection to the crm web page ?

regards

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:43 PM
  • You may try accessing it using IP instead of servername like: http://[IPv4]:5555/MYCRM

Accessing by server name will need DNS configuration. Its not a CRM thing but related to web site name resolution. If you already have a DNS server, you need to make an entry in it which will map the CRM server name to its IP address. If not, you need to install the Domain Controller and then do that setting. If you don't know anything about it, it will better to take help from someone who is a networking expert.

The slow loading of page should be a first time thing only or could be related to above issue where your server is taking time to identify the server.

• Marked as answer by wakefun Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:00 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 6:45 AM