How do I show that a task is overdue and plan the new dates for it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project which has some overdue taks. In demo videos I have seen that the tasks go red if they are overdue.

I have set a baseline and I have not reocrded any time against the task. In my simplistic view I expected the task to go red once the time was up and it hadn't been completed, but this hasn't happened.

We now have a new date for the work to be compleeted by, so I somehow need to track that the task is moving to a new date.

Could someone please help because I'm not sure how to do this.

Thank you.

Bonita.

Monday, January 31, 2011 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Bonita,

Are you viewing this task in Project, or My Tasks in Project Web Access, and for which version of Project (2003/2007/2010)?.

If this is my tasks, then the date will have a fill in colour of Red.

If this is in Project, then someone might have used conditional formatting to see which tasks were late - but you need to set this up.

In terms of moving a task to a new date, manaully change the start date, or use Tools | Tracking | Update Project | Reschedule uncompleted work to start after...

Also, it might be worth posting further project related questions to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-gb/category/projectprofessional2010  

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Bonita,

Are you viewing this task in Project, or My Tasks in Project Web Access, and for which version of Project (2003/2007/2010)?.

If this is my tasks, then the date will have a fill in colour of Red.

If this is in Project, then someone might have used conditional formatting to see which tasks were late - but you need to set this up.

In terms of moving a task to a new date, manaully change the start date, or use Tools | Tracking | Update Project | Reschedule uncompleted work to start after...

Also, it might be worth posting further project related questions to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-gb/category/projectprofessional2010  

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hi BonitaD,

Further to the Ben's explanation:

If i get your query rite, i believe you want to have indicators in your PWA view to give you the bird eye view of your schedule status? In this case:

1. you have to create enterprise custom formula field of type "task",
    2. create formula that compares the estimate values with the baseline values using the tolerance criteria your organization follows
    3. set the indicators repectively
    4. open the project professional and insert this custom field in your plan and calcuate
    5. verify and validate if all the indicators are reflecting rite
    6. publish the project and you will able to see the indicators appear in your pwa view for this project.

You need to repeat step 4-6 for all you already published projects.

Let me know if it helps and if you need any help with the formula.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:31 AM