Sysprep problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have been struggling for few days with the sysprep of WHS and taking an image to use for production of multiple boxes.

-          I do have the WHS_OPK document and I follow the steps there and sysprep seems to finish fine.

-          I have a Bart PE bootable CD that has Ghost on it and I use that to take the image. I boot from that CD, and syspreped disk is also installed in the system. I do see the disk, and can take an image of it, but I see these problems:

1-       Data Partition of the syspreped disk is gone. Not sure why. Seems like sysprep got rid of it.

2-       I take the image of that disk anyways and using the same tool, I put the image on a brand new disk.

3-       Brand new disk does boot the WHS, but again Data Partition does not exist in it, it never asks me to enter the production license, and also when it completely boots, CPU utilization is at 100%. I see this process: qsm.exe and vds.exe that are taking all the CPU....

Has anybody successfully syspred the WHS disk and still see the Data Partition exist?

Any idea what am I doing wrong in this sysprep process?

Any idea where I can go for support on these type of stuff?

Thanks in advance...

BJ

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:55 PM

Answers

• WHSSYSPREP moves all the data from the data partition to C:\shares and removes the data partition. When you restart the server the data partition gets recreated and the files in C:\shares get moved back to the data partition. This arrangement allows you only have to deploy 1 partition and your master computer doesn't need the same size HD as your production units.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:09 PM

All replies

• WHSSYSPREP moves all the data from the data partition to C:\shares and removes the data partition. When you restart the server the data partition gets recreated and the files in C:\shares get moved back to the data partition. This arrangement allows you only have to deploy 1 partition and your master computer doesn't need the same size HD as your production units.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:09 PM
  •  Bahmanj wrote:

I have been struggling for few days with the sysprep of WHS and taking an image to use for production of multiple boxes.

-          I do have the WHS_OPK document and I follow the steps there and sysprep seems to finish fine.

-          I have a Bart PE bootable CD that has Ghost on it and I use that to take the image. I boot from that CD, and syspreped disk is also installed in the system. I do see the disk, and can take an image of it, but I see these problems:

1-       Data Partition of the syspreped disk is gone. Not sure why. Seems like sysprep got rid of it.

2-       I take the image of that disk anyways and using the same tool, I put the image on a brand new disk.

3-       Brand new disk does boot the WHS, but again Data Partition does not exist in it, it never asks me to enter the production license, and also when it completely boots, CPU utilization is at 100%. I see this process: qsm.exe and vds.exe that are taking all the CPU....

Has anybody successfully syspred the WHS disk and still see the Data Partition exist?

Any idea what am I doing wrong in this sysprep process?

Any idea where I can go for support on these type of stuff?

Thanks in advance...

BJ

I have the same problem... I also have the WHS_OPK document, i use WDS to make the image. I met the same boot problem - the WHS services is not running and if I try to start it give me some VB errors...

If  I found a solution, I share it Smile

BigFoot
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:03 AM