adding drive issue and media center question RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of installing whs to my media server pc and have installed on a 2tb primary drive, I am now trying to add a further drive a 1tb drive but get an error when using the wizard to add the drive, it seems to format ok then it says its preparing it for the server but then fails saying it was unable to create a volume on the hard drive. I can format it and add a drive letter fine in the management console but cannot get it to add to the server storage, any advice would be welcome as I have another 5 drives to add later but need this blank one adding first to start copying over files from the other drives.

I am also in the process of doing the first windows update which looks as though it may have the power pack 2 included in it and I assume pp3 will be along later so it may be something that was fixed in these updates, but as it's 2:30am already I dont want to waste any more time on this if I am going to have nothing but hassle (spent ages trying to find an intel network card driver and my sound card driver wont install either) If this is indicative of whats to come I'll go back to win 7 pro. Which leads me to my next question, I assumed that WHS came with media center but now find that this wasnt added until pp3, can anyone advise whether this is the same version that appears in windows 7 which supported more tuners and had many enhancements over the older version, and am I likely to have issues using it for recording TV direct from my hauppauge cards.

The system is to be used to record all my TV programs, house and stream my movie, tv series and music collection which at present occupies around 7tb of disk space and feeds two popcorn hours and 2 dlink media centers around the house so I need this to be as bulletproof as possible and it needs to be fast enough to stream my bluray backups across the network at full HD which win 7 managed to do without problem. Will WHS be as reliable or should I give up and go back to a basic windows 7 system, I only tried WHS for the benefits of the spanned drives, dont suppose the same facility is available in win 7 is it?

Thanks in advance, just completing update 87 of 97 of the first update so will be at it a while yet :-(

Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:45 AM

All replies

• I am in the process of installing whs to my media server pc and have installed on a 2tb primary drive, I am now trying to add a further drive a 1tb drive but get an error when using the wizard to add the drive, it seems to format ok then it says its preparing it for the server but then fails saying it was unable to create a volume on the hard drive. I can format it and add a drive letter fine in the management console but cannot get it to add to the server storage, any advice would be welcome as I have another 5 drives to add later but need this blank one adding first to start copying over files from the other drives.  
    Did you try deleting everything on that drive with diskpart?  
    I am also in the process of doing the first windows update which looks as though it may have the power pack 2 included in it and I assume pp3 will be along later so it may be something that was fixed in these updates, but as it's 2:30am already I dont want to waste any more time on this if I am going to have nothing but hassle (spent ages trying to find an intel network card driver and my sound card driver wont install either) If this is indicative of whats to come I'll go back to win 7 pro. Which leads me to my next question, I assumed that WHS came with media center but now find that this wasnt added until pp3, can anyone advise whether this is the same version that appears in windows 7 which supported more tuners and had many enhancements over the older version, and am I likely to have issues using it for recording TV direct from my hauppauge cards.

PP3 adds some enhancements to go along with a WMC PC, but it does not add WMC to WHS.  WMC is only on a client. 

The system is to be used to record all my TV programs, house and stream my movie, tv series and music collection which at present occupies around 7tb of disk space and feeds two popcorn hours and 2 dlink media centers around the house so I need this to be as bulletproof as possible and it needs to be fast enough to stream my bluray backups across the network at full HD which win 7 managed to do without problem. Will WHS be as reliable or should I give up and go back to a basic windows 7 system, I only tried WHS for the benefits of the spanned drives, dont suppose the same facility is available in win 7 is it?

No. 

Thanks in advance, just completing update 87 of 97 of the first update so will be at it a while yet :-(

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for that, looks as though a little more research was called for before wasting 8 hours of my life, have opted to just use win 7 and forget the disk spanning. Thanks for your help

Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:39 AM