Playing AVIs on TV RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, I'm sure it's been asked before.  :-)

I have hundreds of AVI files stored on an IOMEGA network drive.   I'd like to play those on regular-ole TVs (non HD).   Short of burning DVDs with AVI files on them, and getting an cheapie DVD player that plays AVIs, what's the better answer?  How can I get those files to play on TVs (ranging from 15 year old 65" big screen, to HDMI-ready DLP TV (er, I Think that's what it is), to HDMI-ready 30" monitors)?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:29 AM

Answers

• The obvious answer, given that this is the Windows Home Server forum, is to buy or build a Windows Home Server computer and store your media on that. Then get a digital media receiver that can play AVI files to read them from your home server and play them on your TV.

You might also want to post over on The Green Button., or on AVS Forum.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:42 PM

All replies

• one thing i forgot to mention was that i DO have what i believe is called an RF Modulator.  So if we can get from Iomega storage via the network to something with RCA outputs, then i could just broadcast the AVI file to all TVs like i do now with my DVDs and satellite TV channels.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:40 AM
  • The obvious answer, given that this is the Windows Home Server forum, is to buy or build a Windows Home Server computer and store your media on that. Then get a digital media receiver that can play AVI files to read them from your home server and play them on your TV.

You might also want to post over on The Green Button., or on AVS Forum.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:42 PM