Backing up Dual Boot Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 ccomputers including my  WHS machine. My first is a Sony Vaio Laptop that is dual booting Vista Business and Windows Server 2008. The second is a gaming desktop and productivity machine (Outlook, Office etc.) that is dual booting Vista Ultimate on two partitions. The desktop has 2 hard drives for each Vista OS install.

My question is simply, whats the correct way to back up these computers considering their dual boot options? WHS is installed on all partitions for all 4 OS's. Should I:

A. On each machine only backup the C drive only and leave the 2nd partition alone? In other swords 4 seperate machines from WHS's perspective....
    B. Should I only back the two machines given there are only two physical machines, in other words back up both dual partitions on each machine as if they are one?

Fortionatly I have not had to do any backups using WHS so I am not familiar with the best practice or the process overall. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    • Changed type sixty4 Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:30 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• Ok thanks for the notes, for the most  part Windows Server 2008 is the most important of all of them because its my development enviornment as well. If I had to reinstall my entire Laptop and did it from the Vista sode instead of the WS 2008 side would I also have to mirror the partitions as well or would WHS also create partitions in order to restore entire machines?

You wouldn't need to mirror anything.  Just create the partitions on the new drive (making sure the new hard drive is at least the same size as the old one) and tell it where to restore each partition from your backup.
    • Marked as answer by sixty4 Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:25 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• I have 3 ccomputers including my  WHS machine. My first is a Sony Vaio Laptop that is dual booting Vista Business and Windows Server 2008. The second is a gaming desktop and productivity machine (Outlook, Office etc.) that is dual booting Vista Ultimate on two partitions. The desktop has 2 hard drives for each Vista OS install.

My question is simply, whats the correct way to back up these computers considering their dual boot options? WHS is installed on all partitions for all 4 OS's. Should I:

A. On each machine only backup the C drive only and leave the 2nd partition alone? In other swords 4 seperate machines from WHS's perspective....
    B. Should I only back the two machines given there are only two physical machines, in other words back up both dual partitions on each machine as if they are one?

Fortionatly I have not had to do any backups using WHS so I am not familiar with the best practice or the process overall. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The best way is to backup each physical hardware configuration once (there's no reason to back up the same hardware multiple times).  Besides, installing the Connector software on Server 2008 is unsupported.  Not to mention, this way you only use 2 of your 10 computer slots on WHS (instead of 4), allowing more computers down the road if needed.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:35 PM
  • You want to install the connector on the OS you use the most. Windows Home Server will back the entire computer up.

One thing to be aware of is that, in this configuration, you must restore the entire drive at the same time. Otherwise there's a pretty good chance the computer won't be bootable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Ok thanks for the notes, for the most  part Windows Server 2008 is the most important of all of them because its my development enviornment as well. If I had to reinstall my entire Laptop and did it from the Vista sode instead of the WS 2008 side would I also have to mirror the partitions as well or would WHS also create partitions in order to restore entire machines?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:19 PM

You wouldn't need to mirror anything.  Just create the partitions on the new drive (making sure the new hard drive is at least the same size as the old one) and tell it where to restore each partition from your backup.
    • Marked as answer by sixty4 Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:25 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:25 PM