No XP CD-key sticker on CD case... RRS feed

• Question

•  My best friend Abraham XXXXXXXX bought a copy of the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP
    Home Edition on the Microsoft web-site, but there is no CD-Key included...anywhere...
     His laptop was attacked by 4 different viruses & yes I had installed the 3rd license of One Care onto
    that pc, but it had vanished so I formatted the drive with my XP, but then when I tried to install his
    XP I realised that the cd-key sticker is nowhere to be found.
     He bought it with a XXXXXXXXXXXXX credit card (which was lost shortly after and replaced) and his
    old address was:

Abraham XXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Now I need that key to re-install the software to his laptop. I will not give him the laptop with my
    old XP on it, since I don't want it registering to his name. My XP is more for recovery purposes for
    my Upgradable Vista.

If you need his new address or any other kind of info so I can either retrieve the key or have it sent
    to his new address please let me know as soon as possible. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX & right now he
    has no computer at all. I gave him my old Dell, but took the hdd out since my old xp is on that too.

I do have his holographic XP CD, is there any way I can retrieve the CD-Key within the CD itself?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen XXXXXXXXX
    • Edited by RickImAPC Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:19 PM X - Personally Identfiable Information Removed (PII)
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:17 PM

Answers

• AcolyteSIX,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

Do you have questions about your Genuine Advantage Kit you previously ordered, including what the product key is? Please refer to the following link for phone numbers and operational hours. See below:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cuphone

You should receive an e-mail from service@microsoft.com  and it will contain the 25 digit Product Key along with instructions for running the conversion tool. Please print a copy of the email for your records. You may be asked for your Product Key in the future if you request Windows Product Support. The next step of the update process will also ask you for your Product Key.

Windows Product Key Update Tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668            

This tool will lead you through several steps to convert your current Windows XP software to a genuine and activated copy of Windows XP.  All active items in your order for Microsoft Products have been shipped. 

Additional WGA Kit information: 

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=278ceda3-fc97-4e0a-897a-ebdc7cb537fc 

Note:  It is important to check your junk email folder to ensure your confirmation email has not been sent to this location. The originating email will be from service@microsoft.com .  If you have junk email set to automatically move and delete messages, you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. You may need to contact your email provider for steps on how to make this adjustment.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

PS - Product Key Retrieval is Out of Scope for this forum.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:21 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:21 PM