Can't map network drives. RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I have WHS joined to a domain, which I now understand is not supported.  Everything seems to be working thus far, so I guess the licensing hasn't kicked in yet.

Anyways, I can't map network drives from XP Pro computers.  I could see the drives once, but haven't been able to see them since.  It says there is no network available or some other error.  I've rebooted the servers and XP boxes.  Everything else works fine.  I can log on remotely no problem.  I just can't map drives.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 4:38 PM

Answers

• Ok, I got it.  WHS clearly will not function properly in a domain at all.  It has some functionality, but very little.  I guess that's why it's for home use.  Not many people have a domain at home anyways.

As soon as I switched it back to a workgroup, with the same name as my domain, voila!  Full functionality, including mapping, is restored.

Problem solved.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• There are a couple of things you can do to try to debug this issue.

• Can you ping by the WHS ip address?
    • Can you browse shares via IP address?
    If the answer to these questions is yes, then you have a name resolution issue of some sort. In a home environment, that issue is often related to the ability to browse the local network.

A workaround is to add an entry for your WHS in your HOSTS file on each machine on your home network. Better would be to resolve the name resolution issue. That can be complex; feel free to come back for assistance if you can't figure out where to start.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 5:17 PM
  • No, I can't ping the machine, which is odd.  Why can I remote into it with RDC?  I have to fully qualify the name, but I think I know why I have to do that and I'm not worried about it.

The rest of the network is a 2000 Advanced Server box with AD and DNS, printer server with 2000 Pro, two XP Pro boxes and an XP Home laptop if any of that is any use to you.  The Smoothwall is at the front end so I don't think that plays any bearing.

Friday, March 2, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Ok, I got it.  WHS clearly will not function properly in a domain at all.  It has some functionality, but very little.  I guess that's why it's for home use.  Not many people have a domain at home anyways.

As soon as I switched it back to a workgroup, with the same name as my domain, voila!  Full functionality, including mapping, is restored.

Problem solved.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:37 PM
  • Since you had it joined to a domain at one point, you may find that at some point in the next few days WHS decides to start rebooting every hour. It's got components of SBS included, and the licensing for SBS requires it to be installed as your PDC. If it's not, after 7 days, it starts rebooting.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Well that's a bit of a bummer.  I guess if that happens I'll just start fresh again.  No big deal.  Thanks for the heads up.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:06 PM
  • It's just a possibility. I haven't played with SBS for quite a while, so it could be that removing it from the domain will reset the "out of license" switch.

Keep us informed?
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Yes, I will keep you posted.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:35 AM