Backup connector problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Having a few problems with getting the backup connector working properly.

I initially installed whs on a standalone server with a single 80Gig SATA drive, installed the connector software on a laptop and it backed up perfectly. really quick as well.

I then added a second IDE drive to the server so i could backup a few more machines, added the connector software to  second ethernet attached machine, but a manual backup ran very slowly, got to about 30% then displayed a message along the lines 'communication to server disrupted etc'. Tried restarting backup, but only option left was to remove the pc. did that and reinstalled the connector software and restarted.

pc still backed up v slowly, got to 40% then the same message as before. tried restarting the server and clients etc with no joy.

also notices that the original laptop that did work, now dosent! the only option available when trying a select a manual backup is to remove the machine?

I dont seem to be having a luck with the backup at the moments?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, April 30, 2007 7:16 PM

All replies

• Is it wireless transfer from the Laptop?

Perhaps you should try a wired connection at first - and then go wireless once the "first big backup" has finished.

Monday, April 30, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

The first backup was wireless, which worked perfectly and quickly, the second was wired but never ran at a decent speed before stopping, now neither will back up!

I cant even start a manual backup as the only option when selecting a pc is to remove it?  Which i have done, but it still wont backup anything at the moment, even when i re add the pc after reinstalling the connector software?

If I try to configure backup, then the process starts, then hangs saying cannot communicate with home server and gets no further.

Regards

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:11 AM
  • Hi all,

Moving on from my backup problems, I decided to re install the server with the two hard disks already installed rather than add one afterwards.

Then i removed one of the hard disks from the server storage etc, and what a difference to the speed of the server, even browsing from another pc was faster!

Anyway, I left the sata drive attached and then added my desktop pc first, i tried to install the connector s/w from the server and it failed ever time, either with a pop up stating "disk file error" or saying it cannot access c:\server etc.

So i download the connector sw direct to the pc from the microsoft web site, ran through the configure backup etc, and it worked flawlessly. Backup worked a treat.

My question is, does having multiple drive with replication on cause problems?

Regards

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Has anyone figured this one out yet? - In the process of install 2012 myself, and would like to know it's all going to work...
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:40 AM