none
access data after eval copy expires RRS feed

• Question

• My trial version of MS Home Server recently expired. I was copying my data off of the server to my desktop on the last day of the trial, and it stopped at about 10pm local time so I wasn't able to get all of the data off. Does anyone know if I take the drive and install it as a secondary drive on another system (running xp or something), will I be able to get the data off?

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:20 AM

Answers

• Yes, you will be able to access your data. If you have only a single drive in your server, all the files in your shares are in <driveletter>:\Shares\etc. If you have multiple drives, you should check every drive for files; they will be in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:40 AM

All replies

• Yes, you will be able to access your data. If you have only a single drive in your server, all the files in your shares are in <driveletter>:\Shares\etc. If you have multiple drives, you should check every drive for files; they will be in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Thanks - I was hoping for that answer.

Another question - If I install the retail version of WHS (on another drive), then use this drive as a second drive to the server, will I still be able to retrieve the data this way?

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:45 AM
  • If you want to continue using Windows Home Server, and you're satisfied with the hardware that you've already got, then you should install the RTM version using the server reinstallation setup option. This will preserve the files in your shares and (normally) your backups. It doesn't preserve add-ins, users, other software you may have installed, or customizations applied outside the console.

To do a server reinstallation, leave all the drives in your storage pool connected, then boot from the installation DVDE. If you need dirvers for some of your hard drives to be recognized you should supply them at the hardware discovery screen. Assuming all your drives are visible, you should be given the option of a server reinstallation or server recovery when asked what kind of installation you want to do. (If the only option you get is for a new installation, don't proceed! New installation will erase all the drives you have connected.) If you need drivers for your system drive to be recognized, you will need to supply your storage drivers twice: once during hardware discovery, as stated above, and a second time just after the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. Press F6 when the prompt is displayed at the beginning of that phase of setup, and follow instructions, supplying your drivers on floppy (normally only floppy will work at this stage). Leave the installation DVD in the drive until the Welcome screen is displayed.

If you would prefer to do a fresh installation, you can do so on your old system drive as long as you had duplication turned on for all your shares. If you didn't, then you should install on a new drive. When you do a new installation, you shouldn't connect any drives you aren't willing to have formatted immediately, so don't connect up your old system drive (unless installing on it) or your old data drive(s).
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:58 AM